Author Topic: robotic knee movement  (Read 1506 times)

Offline BatienzaxcoreTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • Just me. Really.
robotic knee movement
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:24:52 PM »
Hey guys. I'm kinda new here. I'm a 20 year old 5th year electronics engineering student here in the Phils and I'm kinda having problems with our design project. Our topic is about robotics, basically, mimicking or simulating human movement (hand movement, arm, etc), then we find an application for it, not to mention any improvement for current researches regarding that. 

I'm kinda having trouble in finding myself an application and problem regarding knee movement (only the knee, not including ankle movement). Could you help me out on this? 

I'm planning to use a PIC16f877a microcontroller and I'm not really sure what motor to use, a stepper motor or a servo motor? 

Thanks for your reply guys. I'd really appreciate it. Post your replies here, I badly need it. This is taking my time away from my girlfriend, family, band, and social life. 

PS: Sorry for the bad English, and no, not all Asians are geniuses.       
Music is really my thing. But I am haunted by my fantasies of seeing robots rock out - A literal metal band.

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: robotic knee movement
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
I'm planning to use a PIC16f877a microcontroller and I'm not really sure what motor to use, a stepper motor or a servo motor?
I advice to find out differences between servo and stepper, that way You can be sure to pick the correct one :)
Read these two articles:

What you will notice is that stepper motor requires some extra circuitry (aka stepper motor driver) to be driven, as opposed to servo which has that circuitry embedded in the case. Another thing You'll notice is that servo outputs much less torque compared to same size stepper. Third thing to note is that servo jitters under load (it has to do with servo being simple dc motor which position gets updated at 50Hz) where stepper does not.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Get Your Ad Here