go away spammer

Author Topic: Soldering help  (Read 1965 times)

Offline kennyguy42Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Soldering help
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:38:54 AM »
Hello,

What is the best technique to make a "solder bridge" between two component pins that are separated by a gap in the PC board?

For example, what is the best technique to achieve the horizontel solder bridges seen in the following image?

http://www.societyofrobots.com/images/sbs_connect1_large.JPG

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
Re: Soldering help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:54:38 AM »
Hi I'm not the best solderer around but I can help...
1.Do you know how to solder a little already?
If so it shouldn't be to hard, just heat up the solder and spread it around a bit.
2.If not...
You have to learn how to solder first.
Get your self 50 LEDs and and 50 750ohm  resistors, practice soldering them together.
3.Want to try a challenge?
Buy some SMD LEDs and try soldering them! They're tiny!
Once the success rate of LEDs is ~%80 then continue with step one.
You CAN do it!

Voyager2
Don't give up!
And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:59:07 AM »
well the easiest way i find is to use 1 strand of copper wire , not the whole wire. cut a piece the length of the bridge you want to create and solder it to the 2 outer pins and the go along and bridge the rest of them with solder. the copper wire acts as the foundation.

you can just try to do it without the wire but sometimes it doesn't work as you want it to so i end up using the wire. for me it is a lot faster.
Hi I'm not the best solderer around but I can help...
1.Do you know how to solder a little already?
If so it shouldn't be to hard, just heat up the solder and spread it around a bit.
2.If not...
You have to learn how to solder first.
Get your self 50 LEDs and and 50 750ohm  resistors, practice soldering them together.
3.Want to try a challenge?
Buy some SMD LEDs and try soldering them! They're tiny!
Once the success rate of LEDs is ~%80 then continue with step one.

he doesnt want to know how to solder, he wants to know how to create a solder bridge!

Offline Alfa_Zulu

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:14:02 AM »
well the easiest way i find is to use 1 strand of copper wire , not the whole wire. cut a piece the length of the bridge you want to create and solder it to the 2 outer pins and the go along and bridge the rest of them with solder. the copper wire acts as the foundation.

Yup, that's how I do it when the solder god doesn't favour my efforts today.
or you can just try putting a drop of solder on the 3 copper pads in the length of the bridge and add enough so you have a large drop in the middle, then heat it up and smear it to one of the outer pins (adding more solder as needed). then wait about 30 seconds for it to cool and do the other end. this method works for me most of the time and still looks clean.

However both methods work fine  ;D

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:30:45 AM »
yeah both methods work well.

both look good and function well when you get it right, after a go or two you will quickly have a preference of one or the other.

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 06:22:12 AM »
I've never used the wire method. When building the 50$ robot I found the best thing that worked for me was to put solder on the pads where you want the bridge. Then put the iron between them till they both "flow", then add more solder. The trick for me was to figure out the timing. I had really good luck if I removed the iron half a second or so before removing the solder. This gives the solder a chance to cool just enough that it stays where you put it. Otherwise I had trouble with the solder flowing to one side or the other.

Good Luck
Conscripted.

Get Your Ad Here