Author Topic: slowing down a remote control car  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Bill 79268LSTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
slowing down a remote control car
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
I want to reduce the speed of a basic remote control car so that it takes the wheels anywhere between 15 seconds and 30 seconds to make one revolution. Can this be done using a pot inside the receiver section?

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
Re: slowing down a remote control car
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »
I want to reduce the speed of a basic remote control car so that it takes the wheels anywhere between 15 seconds and 30 seconds to make one revolution. Can this be done using a pot inside the receiver section?

not just a pot and maybe not at all with any accuracy you would need to use some sort of timer like a 555 to generate a pwm signal and a pot to control it. you "could" then connect that to the switch that gives it power on the receiver 1 rev per 15 seconds is not going to happen most likely without allot of tweeking. do you have a use for this?
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline Bill 79268LSTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:20:28 PM »
I wanted to use the axle of a remote control car to turn the minute hand and the hour hand of a clock by remote control. The clock is a prop in the play "The Nutcracker", and so I wanted to control the speed of turning the clock's hands. I know the play is almost a year away but I wanted to get started very soon. If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate your input.

Thank you

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:25:53 AM »
I very much doubt that the pot in the receiver will adjust the motors speed (unless you have a documnet on the receiver that states this).

How about use the tire to drive a belt to a large pulley as a basic speed reduction. The ratio of the diameters equals the reduction in speed.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »
Hi,

No.
Even with more circuitry, you would get a very erratic rotation.

A step motor would be just the right thing, but I sense it that you want something that's more or less done(?)

A DC motor with gears (worm gear, planetary gear or spur gears) can be had in a kit form, where you select the gear ratio. You might need two gear sets to get it as slow as you like.

The DC motor, if it have the same parameters as the one in your car, can be mounted (electrically) as a substitute for the one in the car, if you want to use the wireless control.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »
why not have a guy with a crank stand behind the clock?

humans are the most awesome robots ever!
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »
why not have a guy with a crank stand behind the clock?

humans are the most awesome robots ever!
Wouldn't that take a an entirely new programming language?  :P
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »
You could slow down the rotation mechanically, little gear to the big gear kind of thing.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list