Author Topic: Small Hoist system  (Read 2987 times)

Offline bowlingoTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Small Hoist system
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »
Hi all,

I have been looking everywhere for a small hoist capable of lifting 10KG or so 6 - 12 inches every week or two. This is to be controlled by a SMS controller of which I already have up and running.

Normal hoists are 125KG minimum and would look terrible bolted to a ceiling.

Ive tried googling for hours, phoning a couple of motor companys, an electricians forum and stage lighting company.

All it will be is a small geared motor with a spindle on the end with a 5 metre wire attached 6, 12 or 230 volts and capable of handling 10KG every week or two.

I could get these manufactured but will be highly expensive so im looking for something off the shelf or something off the shelf that can be modified and affordable

Im in the UK

Thanks
Alex

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Small Hoist system
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
Hi all,

I have been looking everywhere for a small hoist capable of lifting 10KG or so 6 - 12 inches every week or two. This is to be controlled by a SMS controller of which I already have up and running.

Normal hoists are 125KG minimum and would look terrible bolted to a ceiling.

Ive tried googling for hours, phoning a couple of motor companys, an electricians forum and stage lighting company.

All it will be is a small geared motor with a spindle on the end with a 5 metre wire attached 6, 12 or 230 volts and capable of handling 10KG every week or two.

I could get these manufactured but will be highly expensive so im looking for something off the shelf or something off the shelf that can be modified and affordable

Im in the UK

Thanks
Alex

Hi all..

I have ordered this motor..I spoke to the tech guy and he said this will lift it no problem and wont wind back when the 10kg load is hanging

https://catalog.precisionmicrodrives.com/order-parts/product/2a2-300-102mm-dc-gearmotor-89mm-type

As I see it I will be able to mount it into an adaptable box with a hole cut into it...I will have to attach some kind of hollow tube to the 23.2mm shaft, put it through the hole cut into the adaptable box..attach some kind of circular item to the end of the rod that I fix onto the shaft and somehow attach 5m of thin wire. Anyone any ideas on how I can make the spindle/reel part?

Thanks

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »
Hmmm, why do you have to attach a hollow tube to the end of the output shaft?  

Why not just stick the output shaft OUT of the hole in the box, then attach the "spindle" to that?  

It looks like the motor has a D shaped shaft on it, so all you need is a pulley that has the same size and shape hole as the output shaft of the motor.  Shouldn't be too hard to find.  (Or a drive pulley with a set screw)

Oh, then you could simply drill a hole in part of the pulley, thread the wire/whatever through it, tie it off(securely), and then it'll be your "spindle".  

It sounds like you're making a giant grandfather clock.  That's a cool idea if it is what you're doing.   :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:22:39 PM by corrado33 »

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »
It sounds like you're making a giant grandfather clock.  That's a cool idea if it is what you're doing.   :P

That was kinda my thought too...  Tell us more about what you're doing ;)

if that motor doesn't work out, what I would recommend is the motor used in a van door, which is commonly called (surprise) a Van Door Motor.  These have a built in gearing, including a worm gear so that the motor will indeed stay in place when not powered.

As for a spindle, it would be easy to build an aluminum box-like structure to support both ends (as has been previously mentioned).
I

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »

Oh, then you could simply drill a hole in part of the pulley, thread the wire/whatever through it, tie it off(securely), and then it'll be your "spindle".  

Thanks for your reply...the spindle on the motor is 23.2mm from the body face so I will need to somehow extend it I believe

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »
I am building an automated hydroponics system thats controlled by mobile phone through a SMS controller...this is the light raising part...you send text message "raise lights" it then goes through a timed relay, through a 12v - 230V relay and raises the lights up by 6 - 12 inches at a time

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:01:55 AM »
Hi,

I am building an automated hydroponics system thats controlled by mobile phone through a SMS controller...this is the light raising part...you send text message "raise lights" it then goes through a timed relay, through a 12v - 230V relay and raises the lights up by 6 - 12 inches at a time
What's the purpose of lifting this heavy lamp once a week?
And why text it?
(Growing pot in a hidden secret place or something?   ;))
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 12:26:05 PM »

What's the purpose of lifting this heavy lamp once a week?
And why text it?
(Growing pot in a hidden secret place or something?   ;))

Na that's easy enough with a simple timer.   :P

I like the giant grandfather clock idea though.  Maybe I'll look into that. 

Get Your Ad Here

data_list