go away spammer

Author Topic: Some general help on beginning  (Read 2173 times)

Offline notgivenTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Some general help on beginning
« on: June 11, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »
A general overview or whatever you can offer is greatly appreciated : Could someone tell me how to solder together a bipolar step motor an make it turn with an arduino microcontroller? If possible, could you tell me how to make the connections without soldering? Ive read a lot of tutorials and datasheets but there are still a lot of things I don't get. I just want to get the thing turning for now. It should be easier to learn this stuff with a working example in front of me. have something to work with. Problem is (and I know this is not the easiest stuff to start off with as a noob but this is all I have to work with, in addition to some light electronics I can get at a shitty nearby radioshack) this is mostly all I have:
Arduino
Bipolar (4 wire) step motor
12 volt Battery

I've asked some questions before but I'm still missing some details. What I'm really trying to learn is how to bridge the gaps between my specific microcontroller, my type o stepper, and a simple powersupply (I've looked at tutorials featuring arduino but they are always missing some things that I need to know. They are fragmented/modulated rather than comprehensive, so not for a beginner at my level).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:37:26 PM by notgiven »

Offline notgivenTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Some general help on beginning
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
For example, I think this map has pretty much everything I need I. The way of general connections the microcontroller, but the breadboad with the SN driver is confusing me because I don't know what the connections are like underneath tue board. I guess I'm reading it wrong or something. Could someone perhaps edit the image in paint and post it for me?

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Tutorial/bipolar_bb.png

Offline gathem

• Helpful? 0
Re: Some general help on beginning
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »
Hey Notgiven,

I think there is an easier way.

Firstly to not have to solder, buy a breadboard @ radioshack. You will also need some jumpers (little wires that can be plugged into the bread board and arduino sockets).

I think you should start a tad smaller. You can learn a lot about electronics in a single day, which will save you many days later on. First

Get a couple of LED's from radio shack, and a few resistors. (You might consider getting a getting started with arduino kit or other electronic kits)
Play around with making the arduino make the LED's blink then move on to motors.

Go through arduino's sample library and try to understand what is going on first. I was able to go through most of the tutorials in 1 day. After that I was very comfortable driving motors.

Another thing to consider... The arduino can only supply 1.5-2 amps (Im estimating but its very low), so it will not be able to power a medium sized stepper motor.
You will probably need a motor driver (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12333768)

I would recommend you start out with servo's then move up to motor drivers (servos are cheap, and can be powered without a motor driver)

I am happy to answer any other questions (within my knowledge) if the above does not help.

If you really want to jump straight to steppers:
1.) find out the amp draw of your stepper
2.) buy a motor driver capable of providing it adequate voltage and current
3.) connect the motor driver up to a breadboard, then connect the arduino up to the breadboard, and finally attach a jumper to connect the two to each other.
4.) Use this image and code: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/StepperBipolar

Get Your Ad Here

data_list