Author Topic: Size mathers?  (Read 7188 times)

Offline sotuTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
Size mathers?
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:40:06 AM »
I've taken appart a small wheeled robot and wonder if i can replace the batteries with bigger with more power and the EL motor with a bigger and more powerfull! Or: Can't the eletric card take anymore power because its made for low power running true it? :-\
How to build a biped bot:

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Size mathers?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 11:37:38 AM »
Normally the board will have voltage regulators on so that, in any case, there were higer voltages being fed in, this wouldn't matter,

However, you would need to know what one looks like if you want to see it on your board. Look it up on google.

With the motors, you COULD put larger ones one with larger batteries, but normally, you just want a car that isnt mashed up or whatever..............

I guess as far as a robot goes............the interesting thing is the brain and the sensors............for much of robotics large power isnt needed unless it has to carry loads or do things at certain speeds etc.

You get what I mean?

"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 04:05:44 AM »
Yeah thanks. So i will change the battery and the motor, couse if i only change batterys the motor will be destroyd and if i only change the motor the battery won't be able to drive it, am i right?

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 08:21:45 AM »
Well it depends on quite a few things. Look at the motor. Does it have a highest rating printed on it?

Are  you able to look on the internet for the datasheet etc?
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:09:18 AM »
be careful, the motor driver might not be able to handle the higher power draw (voltage * current = power) . . .

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 10:11:36 AM »
I have a battery holder rooming 8 batterys on each side. With two plugs tapping the power.  I  also have one 6 V motor. Im wondering if the output of the power gives 1,5 V * 4 = 6 V OR 1,5 V * 8 = 12 V. Couse if i drive the 6 V EL motor for a while the batterys start getting a bit hot!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:59:01 AM by sotu »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:26:23 AM »
the voltage would depend on if the batteries are in series (add voltages) or in parallel (same voltage)

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »
the voltage would depend on if the batteries are in series (add voltages) or in parallel (same voltage)

I have some interst in batteries now.  Usually I power my circuits from my dad's prototyping board thing that powers itself from the wall and I have fancy little knobs providing perfect power to the circuit.  Lately I have built a guitar amp and been working on a treaded robot that runs on 24 volts.  I understand wiring batteries in a series and they add their voltage, but how do you do parallel and what exactly does this do? 

I assume it's providing the same power outage to the object, they're just linked together to provide longer life? 

I am unclear about stuff about amps too.  I'm assuming again, that the amprage that is drawn from the batteries is regulated by the circuit first.  I understand voltage, but my dad can't explain amps.  Perhaps the components can only take a certain amprage, so that's all they draw?  Any help would be nice  :D

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »
for parallel you connect + to + and - to -
Yes the batteries will last twice as long, if the power draw stays the same

It took me a long time to understand current/amps
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »
Ok okey so its best if + meets + and - meets -  and not + to - ?

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »
+ to + makes it last longer
+ to - adds the voltages

so if you have 4, 6v batteries and you need 24v you put them + to -
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 02:29:51 PM »

Read a freakin' electronics book already!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 02:33:27 PM »
as I said, google search before asking questions . . .

the very first result for "parallel battery serial battery" can answer your question:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-24.htm

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 02:41:13 PM »

Read a freakin' electronics book already!

Lmao.  I second that.  

Thanks for the answer, it makes plenty of sense now, I guess I never really thought you could do that.   ::)

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »
Try this article if you don't understand amps, and how they relate to voltage, once you understand Ohms law you can do a lot of precise calculations on what vale of resistors to use, how long a battery will last and so on, that would be basically guess work with out it. Its pretty much the key foundation of most electronics, and it would be a good idea to really understand it and some other voltage, power, amp, and resistance formulas/laws, before moving on to more complicated stuff.
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 07:41:19 AM »
Ok i think i will stop making new topics and write so many questions. Just wanna say its not easy to google on an Norwegian google searching engine for english stuff. Couse if u write www.google.com it goes directly to www.google.no.

Offline Somchaya

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • You know it's cute!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 08:24:31 AM »
Well, I guess it may be harder to find stuff on Norwegian google  than the regular google.com, but it'll probably take a little more effort to find stuff..

That being said, I don't think any one of us want you to stop asking questions. The best way for you, I think, would be to stick to one thread and ask all your questions there (yeap, someone else did recommend this before actually). That way, it's easier for you to consolidate all your questions at one place, and easier for people to answer to them too.

I think the main issue is that many topics were started, and many of them had duplicate questions/posts, which make forum people unhappy :) I know how hard it is to wait for a response for your question on the forum, but making multiple posts in separate threads doesn't necessarily make people answer the question faster.

What I highly recommend is to read the books that we recommended before. They're very well-organized and give good descriptions of many of the concepts you're asking us here. If you're unsure of what the book is saying, or need a different description, feel free to ask us, but keep all your questions to one thread ;D

It would also help a lot if you told us your current understanding of the matter, and what you've found out etc. That way, it doesn't sound like we're acting on google's behalf, but more like clarifying questions, which we're all happy to do.

For example: a question like
what kind of screwdriver is best for a robot?
would probably rattle the forum's nerves, but something like
I've read about screwdrivers, and found out that there's many different kinds, like a flat head, a Phillips head and so on. I don't really understand why there's so many types, and does it make a difference what kind of screw/screwdriver I use?
would be a lot clearer, and people would be much more willing to give their input :)

Of course, it would help a lot to tell us about the robot you have in mind, or the robot you're currently building. That way, it's a lot easier to understand your question and give you direct answers. I'm glad to hear that you bought a kit to try out, feel free to keep us updated about its progress and ask us questions if you have any, but do keep it to one thread if you can :P

Somchaya - Back after a year of misc things
http://whisker.scribblewiki.com

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 09:21:05 AM »
I fully understand all of the laws and such, I just don't understand amprage in circuits.  My dad explained it to me and it's more clear, so don't worry about it. 

what kind of screwdriver is best for a robot?

Lmao, great example.  Wikipedia is always a wonderful resource too for information on parts.  If you're looking for places to purchase parts try:

www.thomasregister.com

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • ïBB - Eye Biped Bot
    • Easy Built Biped Bot
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 07:59:04 AM »
Try out my webpage now: www.tunliweb.no/sotu.htm
U can also write in my forum if u like..

Get Your Ad Here