Electronics > Electronics

Cheap underwater sonar

<< < (3/5) > >>

Admin:
If you waterproof the air-based transducer, it might block/muffle the emitted sounds when in water. I think Ill just get out a multimeter/scope and see what I can get from a hacked fishing sonar. And call up the manufacturer, as Militoy said, too. Just been busy lately to get back to it . . .

JonHylands:
I talked to the guy from Devantech, with the idea of replacing the transducers with solid aluminum face transducers, but he came back and told me it wouldn't work.

Underwater sonar is really tricky - I would stick with either the solution I posted earlier, or trying to reverse engineer a fish-finder. If you've got more space and money, there's a company in New Zealand that markets an NMEA depth sounder for boats that produces an RS-232 data stream...

http://www.cruzpro.com/active.html

- Jon

Militoy:
As a quick note - and maybe a cheap way to play with your idea - Harbor Freight Tools just put a portable fish finder, with a floating transducer, on sale for $39.99. In-store sales only - sale ends Dec 26. 45 degree sonar angle; runs off (4) AA batteries; range 0-100 ft. I'm going to pick one up this weekend, and tear into it, just for the "cool" factor of seeing how it works.

Admin:
send us pics/details when you do!  :)

Cognaut:
I've seen a documentary on submarine sonar.  They use a piezo transducers - I think mainly because they work as both transmitter and receiver.

In order to get them to work for submarine operations, they stack them up.  This increases the "throw" of the devices, and their energy output.  It's a mechanical way of adding up their attributes.

I just received the little piezoelectric transducers that I ordered from Edmund Scientific.  I'll let you know how they "stack up."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version