go away spammer

Author Topic: Adhesives for use in Modifying a Servo  (Read 1657 times)

Offline CompChemEngTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Adhesives for use in Modifying a Servo
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
When modifying a servo for continuous rotation, what sorts of adhesives work to hold the pot head in place?  The article recommends super glue, though since that's not on-hand, would either gorilla glue or rubber cement suffice?

What sorts of adhesives have been successfully used, and any unsuccessful ones?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Adhesives for use in Modifying a Servo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »
Rubber cement would probably be a bad choice.  Anything that hardens is good, so gorilla glue would work.  Though with gorilla glue, you'd probably need to scrape off any of it that expands (since that's what gorilla glue does...).

I would personally recommend getting some two-part epoxy (I like 5 minute epoxy), as it's great for all sorts of robot stuff, and cheaper by volume than super glue.  The stuff you find at the hardware store and even the grocery store is perfectly good.  It can also be removed somewhat easily when needed (with a knife and/or dremel).

The stuff I buy comes in packages like this, though usually costs like half as much...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:23:55 PM by Gertlex »
I

Offline ambcorp2000

• Helpful? 0
Re: Adhesives for use in Modifying a Servo
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
For the benefit of all who may reference this thread in the future, I agree that 5 minute epoxy works the best. It is cheap, it is more fault tolerant (takes a little while to settle hard so can be adjusted and hardens into a solid that can be scraped off if required) and is easier to use than super glue. This is one of the few glues that I have been able to use till the last drop.

Get Your Ad Here