go away spammer

Author Topic: design a circuit with Atmel 8-bit mcu, win a smart car  (Read 3332 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
design a circuit with Atmel 8-bit mcu, win a smart car
« on: June 23, 2009, 06:33:12 PM »
I'd enter but unfortunately entire robots don't count, they just care about low power circuits . . .

The "Design Smarter with Atmel AVR Processors" contest runs now through Oct. 30, 2009. Entries will be judged on designs that maximize the benefits of the 8-bit AVR Flash Microcontroller, including high performance and low-power consumption. Additional judging criteria include uniqueness of application, usefulness, technical skill, design complexity and cost efficiency. Bonus points will be awarded for designs that incorporate touch-sensing functionality using Atmel's family of touch-sensing products.

The three elected winners will be flown to ESC Silicon Valley in April 2010 to present their designs to be considered for prizes.

http://www.arrownac.com/manufacturers/atmel/s/avr/smart-car.html
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/corporate/view_detail.asp?ref=&FileName=AVR_6_11.html&SEC_NAME=Product

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
Re: design a circuit with Atmel 8-bit mcu, win a smart car
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:35:58 PM »
i don't like it when competition hosts like atmel say you have to use their product as it always ends up costing hundreds more

if you look at te prices before during and after a company run comp the prices for important parts and electronics always goes up like 5 bucks

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »
if you look at te prices before during and after a company run comp the prices for important parts and electronics always goes up like 5 bucks

I find it hard to believe. The number of people entering the competition is negligible compared to regular customers who buy tens of thousands of units. And they wouldn't like a five bucks increase for random reasons...

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
Design Contest Prizes

•1st Place: smart fortwo pure
•2nd Place: 2.13GHz 13 inch White Apple® MacBook
•Third Place: HP Mini 1000 Mi Netbook
Bah, who wants a MacBook (no offense to people who like macs)  :P. I hope they post the finalists' projects on the webpage, it would be intresting to see what people come up with.
Robots are awesome!

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:03:13 PM »
i don't like it when competition hosts like atmel say you have to use their product

Isn't that why they host such competitions and give away cool prizes to promote their products. They wouldn't stay in business very long if they promoted other companies products!

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »
if it doesn't benefit them, why do it?
by telling people to use their products it draws more sales to them...
Howdy

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »
if it doesn't benefit them, why do it?
by telling people to use their products it draws more sales to them...

Indirect sales. It's a marketing operation. The goal is to "force" people to use their products, nut they don't plan on getting much money for the parts they sell for the competition. They hope that people will become more familiar with their their products and turn to them when they design industrial products, where the money is. Exactly like big EDA companies like Synopsys, Cadence or Mentor who give for practically nothing their software (+ support) to universities. Such tools cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 01:15:15 AM »
I could enter my tachometer.... but that's surely not a low power thing.....
Rather power hungry with that 4X 7seg on it......

It's not like I need a smart car.... But I can still sell it for some parts for my civic.... darn....
Of course, I don't really feel like winning anyways..... :P
For whom the interrupts toll...

Get Your Ad Here

data_list