Author Topic: Problem with Axon's USB  (Read 3998 times)

Offline HanoushTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Problem with Axon's USB
« on: February 24, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
I was working on my project and everything was fine then I connected the 3.3v output to my IMU and it gave me output on hyperterminal and everything. but once I disconnected the axon to upload another program, the pc can't see that Axon is connected at all. I tried restarting my computer and didn't use the 3.3v but it was useless.
what could happened ?

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
Re: Problem with Axon's USB
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:03:37 PM »
Did you reboot your Axon? Charge your battery?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 06:31:22 PM »
Hi,

Did you by any chance disconnect (or reconnect) anything, while either of the "ends" were powered?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:42:49 AM »
Did you reboot the PC? Sometimes the FBOOT???.EXE application manages to completely lock the USB subsystem on the PC. On my system the lockup happens immediately and invariably (ie: I can't use the bootloader at all) - but that's not a problem since the ISP hardware programmer is much easier to work with.

Apparently the FBOOT7.EXE application is a MsDOS application (not to be confused with a Console application, it's MsDOS application that would happily work with MsDOS 6.0 for example) and that's why it only works with the COM1-COM4 ports and that's probably how it manages to "fly under the Windows radar" :) Maybe someday someone writes a Windows version of that application so it works properly on the Windows system (that way it would also work with COM port numbers grater then 4).

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:12:27 AM »
I tried disconnecting and reconnecting everything and I restarted the PC but it was useless, I think that I will have to get a voltmeter and check if there is short circuits or something.

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 03:28:59 AM »
The Axon is not seen AT ALL when you plug it in? You don't see the COM port showing up in Device manager?

Here's what Admin answered here:
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2928

[...]
The two worst things you can do:
- plug a battery into the ADC regulated line . . . this will kill your Axon . . . only plug battery into Bat
- reverse power into the 3.3V output header . . . this will kill USB

You should see your Axon in Device Manager (as an COM port) even if the Axon is NOT powered on! If you don't... RIP USB and time to get an hardware programmer.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 05:24:53 AM »
I just bought Blue Smirf gold,can I use it to upload the programs instead of using USB ?

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 05:43:20 AM »
pomprocker appears to be the expert on wireless programming, read this:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3899.msg53806#msg53806

I think you'll need an hardware programmer to load an other bootloader before you can program your axon wireless.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:54:44 AM »
how about changing the USB with another one ? will I be able to do this ?

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »
Have you tested the USB on the Axon and found it to be dead? Have you connected the Axon to another USB port on the computer, or to another computer? Do that before you resort to anything radical... also you might want to wait for Admin's vacation to be over (or are his trips to Robotics meetings called "business trips?").

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »
how about changing the USB with another one ? will I be able to do this ?
In theory, yes. But you'd have to be a mad expert in soldering. I fried quite a lot of prototype Axon USB chips back in the day . . .

I'll wait until you put a multimeter up to the Axon before I reply any further. (check the 3.3V line, 5V ADC bus, battery voltage, etc)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:05:33 AM »
I will try today to connect it to another computer and wait for the admin to come back.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 06:02:07 AM »
I checked for the 3.3v,5v and battery volt and everything is fine.  but I think the broken part is the IC that is connected to the USB socket. and there is no one in Egypt that can test this IC ;(     RIP USB...RIP Axon.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 06:16:14 AM »
Don't give up so easily!

What voltage is your battery at?

Also, on the USB connector on the Axon, you will see 5 tiny pins. With the Axon turned on and sending data, measure each pin and report the voltages here.