Author Topic: hall effect switch as encoder  (Read 2674 times)

Offline aruna1Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
hall effect switch as encoder
« on: December 31, 2010, 06:25:45 AM »
hi I was wondering can i use these hall effect sensors to make a wheel encoder.they are from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5pcs-NEW-A3144-A3144E-OH3144E-Hall-Effect-Sensor-J-/150503466115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230ab4a483

I want to know if i attach them in motors body can i use it to count rpm of the motor?
thank you
I'm Me

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
Re: hall effect switch as encoder
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »
no one? ???
I'm Me

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:10:39 PM »
It can be used but will require some addition support circuits such as amps. It will also require finding the correct placement on the motor to pick up the rotating magnetic field of the stator.
This is not a common method to measure the rotational speed of a motor. Probably due to the difficulty.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 10:15:14 PM »
It can be used but will require some addition support circuits such as amps. It will also require finding the correct placement on the motor to pick up the rotating magnetic field of the stator.
This is not a common method to measure the rotational speed of a motor. Probably due to the difficulty.
this is a hall effect switch so i guess i dont need amplification right?
I'm Me

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:59:44 AM »
Hi,

Hall switches is used extensively in brushless motors - take a look at some of their datasheets to see how.
Take a close look at the datasheet of the (obsolete) Hall switch you are planning on using - and check its sensitivity in relation to the rotating magnet field of the motor.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list