go away spammer

Author Topic: Giant Robot! (Giant Spider-bot)  (Read 57374 times)

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Giant Robot! (Giant Spider-bot)
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »
get what?
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »
hey Jaimie, in one of the first videos you said you had bought like 500 pounds of polycarbonate sheeting for some $40.  Where on earth did you manage to pick up that much polycarbonate sheeting for such a cheap price!? ??? :)

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »
Jaime isnt on these forums unfortunately.

He mostly does his shopping at junk yards and from people that give him stuff. Other times he goes to home depot :-p
Perhaps I can relay your question to him.
Infantry

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2008, 07:57:51 PM »
That would be great, of course if your willing to do so. Thanks.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2008, 09:06:22 PM »
He got the Polycarbonate off of Craigs list

Also, I might be getting him to join the forums just to poke around a bit :)
Infantry

Offline Kalen

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2008, 01:50:50 PM »
ha ha, this guy's awesome! I can't wait to see the robot. Love his sense of humor, too. lol... Mr. File...

Offline Gordo4444Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2008, 06:56:44 PM »
Yea, he doesn't attend the forums personally but I got his permission via youtube to post the videos here.

ALSO, he has been building a hanger type building to house his robot making activities so this project is postponed. I will post the next video of the actual giant robot project up when he puts it on youtube. =)
Amy: Spirit! Kif, that's the pony I always wanted but my parents said I had too many ponies already.

Kif: Yes, I programmed it in for you. Four million lines of BASIC!

Offline AdvsNoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2008, 10:56:56 PM »
Yea, he doesn't attend the forums personally but I got his permission via youtube to post the videos here.

ALSO, he has been building a hanger type building to house his robot making activities so this project is postponed. I will post the next video of the actual giant robot project up when he puts it on youtube. =)

I have been talking to him he got a airplane hanger for everything, he said that they our paving the street for the house and everything then he will finish the robot.

He told me the hanger is also a video called.  Operation:Crazy Operation.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2008, 12:28:23 PM »
The hangar is almost done. If im not mistaken hell have it done by the end of the week. I was planning on heading up there again this weekend to help him but I cant really :-\ It was awesome being up there though. Everything looks different in person than on camera :P
The spring dome is pretty darn roomy inside too. He could probably rig that thing as a guest house lol (but not really, drinking water source isnt something to mess with). The tower actually is a little bit smaller looking than it is on camera. Its still very big though. Hes got an AWESOME setup up there. If I could I would totally offer to move in on the other side of the mountain and be a permanent hand lol
Infantry

Offline AdvsNoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »
The hangar is almost done. If im not mistaken hell have it done by the end of the week. I was planning on heading up there again this weekend to help him but I cant really :-\ It was awesome being up there though. Everything looks different in person than on camera :P
The spring dome is pretty darn roomy inside too. He could probably rig that thing as a guest house lol (but not really, drinking water source isnt something to mess with). The tower actually is a little bit smaller looking than it is on camera. Its still very big though. Hes got an AWESOME setup up there. If I could I would totally offer to move in on the other side of the mountain and be a permanent hand lol

Ya looks cool i wish i could go over there  ;D but it would be kinda weared you see im 15, and hes a grown man soooooo. might not happen ^_^

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2008, 08:07:55 PM »
lol yeah, that might be a cause of some awkwardness haha
Infantry

Offline AdvsNoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2008, 09:02:49 PM »
lol yeah, that might be a cause of some awkwardness haha

^_^ but i am going to be sending him some aluminum for his robot *If he needs it* because my uncle has a metal shop and they build big things like trains and sometimes buildings, and he loves me (In a no homo kind of way) and said that he can have ALOT because they have ALOT of scraps from building including big plates and pipes.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »
hahaha well I can tell you that he would appreciate every single donation!

And loving uncles are good things to have lol

I wish I had a source of free aluminum lol
Infantry

Offline Thomas Countz

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2009, 05:01:33 PM »
I cannot believe that I spent all that time watching every video! I really like his project and how optimistic and free thinking he is....I can't wait to see it finished!

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2009, 12:56:31 AM »
dont worry, ive watched every video too lol
Actually I just got back from staying at his place for a few days. I helped work on the banana building some more :)

Robot building will recommence soon :)
Infantry

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2009, 09:38:18 AM »
I've been watching all his video's for a long time now too.
I'd love to go up there and help him to, but it's on the other side of the world...:/

Will he insulate the banana building first? So he can work on the robot there during the winter, or will he work on the robot in the dome like he said in his last video?
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »
Hes going to insulate the banana building once all the bolts go in since he put it up with only a third of the bolts in. His next video will show me and our friend Ellen working on it a little bit. The hardest part wasnt even getting the bolts in. It was finding bolts that werent messed up from the impact wrench the previous owner used. We had a huge pile of bolts and we had to put rubber gaskets on ones that didnt already have one. Sounds easy right? yeah not when its very very very below freezing and you cant wear gloves when you do it lol
got off on a tangent there... heh
anyway. So once he gets all the bolts in hes going to insulate it. He also plans on burying it similar to the way hes going to do with the spring dome. We got the wood stove going and it was doing pretty well warming the place up. We covered up the massive gap between the ground and the bottom of the garage door as well as made a makeshift door for the regular people entrance doorway lol. Next winter the banana building should be quite adequate for building stuff in :) The ground still has to be graded though. The back slopes up toward the mountain face to the point where if I look straight from the front of the building towards the back im looking eye level with the dirt lol.

As far as building robot parts in the dome goes, im not so sure hes going to be doing that. At least not very much. The floor space is still kinda messy in that little area plus thats where the bike generator is which needs to stay where it is. We actually didnt discuss the giant robot much at all whilst I was there for those 3 or 4 days :P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:56:54 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
Infantry

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »
yea how was it those few days by Jaimie? Was it comfortable temperature inside his dome?
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2009, 06:31:37 PM »
no lol. It was slightly warmer than outside but thats not saying much when its negative degrees outside. In the small living area on the first floor of it where the wood stove is was pretty decent though. The wood stove got the room really toasty but he mostly only has the wood stove on when he needs to cook something. I always had wet socks and stuff on from the snow outside during the days work so I never really warmed much lol. I slept on the third floor though. which sucked because the floor for the third floor is all chain link fence attached to the dome via trampoline springs. Hurts the feet when not wearing shoes up there...
I woke up the 3rd morning with condensation all over everything lol
The nights were pretty rough because of the cold. Kept getting woken up during the first two nights because of it. On the third night I remembered I packed a fleece hood, which was freaking awesome. Its only a hood rather than a whole hooded sweatshirt but all I had to do was tuck the bottom of it into my shirt when I went to sleep and it helped me keep much much warmer.
When I go back in the spring(hopefully) it should be a much better experience sleep wise lol... by then im hoping the slope to get up to the dome isnt just a thick sheet of black ice anymore lol
-EDIT-
Just remembered a funny story about that little icy slope. We were heading out to I dont remember where... I think we were just going down to the banana building... or we might have been going to the grocery store I cant remember lol. anyway, so im walking down the slope, clutching the rope of coarse, when both my feet slip forward underneath me and I fall flat on my back and hit the back of my head on the ice lol. It kinda hurt a bit... I think I just layed there for a second or two... cant really remember that part either hahaha
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:36:03 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
Infantry

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2009, 06:23:52 PM »
How close is he to finishing the banana building?  I just watched the latest video and it looks really good considering that he probably got most of it for free :D.

Bane

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2009, 08:07:13 PM »
well based on all the things he wants/needs to do with it, id say somewhere around 60% or so.

He still needs to grade the floor which im probably going up there in the spring when the ground is no longer frozen solid to help him with that. He also plans on burying it with dirt so thats going to take a lot too. And theres still a ton of holes he needs to put bolts in.
Infantry

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2009, 07:50:07 AM »
has this been updated with the 20b,c and d? or is that not on youtube?
Howdy

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2009, 04:06:45 PM »
20b, c, and d? What are you talking about?
Infantry

Offline Gordo4444Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »
Hey HDL, are you "Rob"?

I think I saw you in a few of the Crazy Operation vids too! That's pretty cool to be up there helping him like that!
Amy: Spirit! Kif, that's the pony I always wanted but my parents said I had too many ponies already.

Kif: Yes, I programmed it in for you. Four million lines of BASIC!

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2009, 04:47:25 PM »
I am indeed the one they call "Rob" :)
And yes it was freaking awesome being up there helping out! I wish I could have stayed longer but I only had a week off of work and I had stuff to do around my own home :-\ During the spring time though I will hopefully be going back up there for a few days and helping out some more :) we shall see!
Infantry

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2009, 09:05:36 PM »
oh, sorry i thought i saw more on their site, must have been something else
Howdy

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
ohhhhh I see what your talking about! Yeah 'b' through 'e' mostly pertain to Crazy Operation which will soon lead to more actual robot building videos. I think gordo said he was only gunna add videos that directly had the giant robot in them.
Infantry

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2009, 11:51:58 PM »
ahh fair enough
Howdy

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2009, 06:23:50 PM »
Jamie should making something cool that runs off of hydrogen just because that be totally awesome :).  (i know, that was really random but i was just watching a vid on youtube about it :P).  Do they sell generators that run on hydrogen gas?

Bane

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »
Probably not. Hydrogen gas takes a lot of energy to harvest still. A generator running on H2 would just be too costly and probably more damaging to the environment due to how much energy it takes to get it currently. Perhaps when the process gets more refined?
Infantry

Get Your Ad Here