go away spammer

Author Topic: First Time Attempt at ANYTHING  (Read 1569 times)

Offline RobotNOOB1Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
First Time Attempt at ANYTHING
« on: December 18, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
Hello, I had an idea the other day of a project that could educate me in the field of robotics. I want to design a robotic hand using servo motors. These motors will not be controled with buttons or switches but with a program. The hand will display the hour of the time by raising or lowering fingers. (I.E. just your index finger raised will be 1:00). I also wanted to include a simple screen that read off the minutes. I was wondering how to control all of this? Is the control and program seperate entities? As you can tell by the name, I am completly lost in this field and would like a slight push in the right direction.

Thank You

Matt

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: First Time Attempt at ANYTHING
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
Hi,

The hand will display the hour of the time by raising or lowering fingers. (I.E. just your index finger raised will be 1:00).
If it's supposed to be a binary clock, don't demonstrate it between 1:59 and 3:00 (a.m. or p.m.), unless to someone you really hate (preferably someone smaller than yourself) ;)

Some nationalities may not like it from 2:59 to 4:00 and yet some will find 8:59 to 10:00 a bit offensive.
Call it a World Clock and you can P.off people day and night ;D

I also wanted to include a simple screen that read off the minutes.
Simple is good... What do you call "a simple screen"?
Two 7-segment LED displays would be better/simpler than a screen.

I was wondering how to control all of this? Is the control and program seperate entities?
The program controls it all.

As you can tell by the name, I am completly lost in this field and would like a slight push in the right direction.
Here's a push: Start with a single finger and make that work as you want before you proceed.

You need some sort of a microcontroller board to stuff the program into - do you have one already?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline billhowl

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 32
  • Your success is in your hands.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
Thats hilarious! Didn't even think about how certain times is pretty much telling people off. I do think that kind of screen would be better and maybe when i get more basics taken care of i can include a oled or somthing. I was looking at the Parralax B2 controller for the brain and it seems to have enough outputs for the job but thats the only reason i thought it was good, dont know if it could handle all the movements. I saw that hand on youtube and went to the website, the only reason i didnt keep with it was that it used a audrino controller i was looking at the Parralax because of all the educational support they have on their website.

Thanks for the replys, any and all advice is taken with a smile! :)

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:10:40 AM »
As i am doing more research, I am finding myself confused when choosing between a Parralax Basic Stamp or a Arduino microcontroller... I am going to need to have time capabilities and in addition control a screen. Why didnt i start doing this when i was younger... :(

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
Hi,

I am going to need to have time capabilities
You could add something like this RTC
And with the Arduino you'll be able to get a larger amount of example programs and help in general.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list