Author Topic: Anyone do this for a living? (need a massive rhomba type robot)  (Read 2098 times)

Offline TorontoRobitTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Just wondering if someone could give me an estimate as to how much something like this would cost. I know, I'm an outsider, and this may seem ridiculous, but some of you may find this interesting.

I want to build a robotic floor distressing machine, similar to the Rhomba, but using 2 car batteries stacked on top of each other to add weight as well as give it more juice.

The idea is to have a machine that will purposely distress a hardwood floor using a metal wire brush instead of nylon vacuum bristles, as well as having 3 randomly placed metal spikes on the wheels. The machine would run exactly as does the Rhomba machines do, so as to randomly cover a room in x minutes (ie 5 hours for 200 sq.ft). Also, I don't know how much more difficult this would be, but possibly use some type of grinder that randomly drops on the floor every so often as to leave a different type of gash on the floor here and there.

I run a hardwood flooring company and am looking for a way to randomly distress hardwood floors without breaking my back and knees. I have over $20k invested in tools, and always looking for new toys!

-Alex

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: Anyone do this for a living? (need a massive rhomba type robot)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »
If the 'bot only needs to run in un-furnished rooms, then you could probably have one built for a few thousand dollars. The main thing would be solving the mechanical robustness of actuating force onto the floor.
I know the folks over at Trossen Robotics build robots on contract, but I think they specialize more in walkers than rovers.

Offline jlizotte

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
Roomba control board with wheelchair motors, electronics and batteries. Throw in a few power converters, and an extra motor or two and this probably wouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. I think jwatte is right about the costs...without thinking about it, off the top of my head I would have guessed around 5K including a roomba, a good used wheelchair to strip down, and misc parts/motors, plus engineering time.

I'm curious though...couldn't you use something similar to a commercial floor buffer, and just make an attachment for the bottom of it instead of using the buffing pad? It would be a lot cheaper, quicker, and easier to maintain and probably transport, too.

John
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:56:01 PM by jlizotte »

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Yes I would definitely need it to be robust. I'm thinking the robot needs to be 100-200 lbs at least. The 2 car batteries could give me 80-120 lbs to start + motors (another 50lbs?). Do you know of any other companies I could call? I may call Trossen and see if they would be interested.

John, a buffer would not work for many reasons. The wheels would need to be much smaller in diameter than a wheelchair. I'd like it to have a similar footprint in size to rhombas.

Offline jlizotte

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »
How big is a roomba these days? My wheelchair robot is on a platform that's about 18" square, and and 3 feet tall. She weighs over 150lbs and I'm not even done adding toys to her yet. lol.

Smaller wheelchair wheels can be about 8" in diameter. If you want roomba-sized wheels, that may be an issue. There's a lot of weight you'll be moving around, and at fairly high torque. I'm not sure wheels the size of the roomba could handle those stresses.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »
Wheels can be made of solid steel, alu, plastic, that's not an issue. I'm not looking to pull the wheels off an actual rhomba.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list