Author Topic: AH vs. CCA  (Read 3246 times)

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
AH vs. CCA
« on: January 16, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »
While searching for the proper battery for my robot, I'm a little muddled at some of the ways they're rated by current. Some are rated by AH, but others seem to be rated by something called CCA. What does CCA stand for and what's it's relationship to the battery performance? Thanks
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: AH vs. CCA
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
have you googled it? and have you read this http://www.societyofrobots.com/batteries.shtml ??? those are the steps that you should take first..cca im pretty sure stands for cold cranking amps..almost positive.

~smash
Howdy

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:33:51 PM »
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:37:38 PM »
i also forgot to tell you what it means C.C.A means cold cranking amps...which is the amount of electricity your car uses to start the engine on a cold day...there is also H.C.A hot cranking amps which is the amount of electricity your car uses to start the engine on a hot day...

~smash
Howdy

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »
and AH means amp hour
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

paulstreats

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »
i also forgot to tell you what it means C.C.A means cold cranking amps...which is the amount of electricity your car uses to start the engine on a cold day...

Sort of,

Its actually a rating of how many Amps a battery can sustain at 0degrees (F) over a period of 30 seconds with the voltage remaining at least 7.2v

Its not anything to do with how much electricity you car uses, but how much the battery is able to produce (2 different things altogether)

Obviously a battery that can produce more is better for those cold mornings but it doesnt actually tell you how long the battery will last.

Offline maverick monk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
i also forgot to tell you what it means C.C.A means cold cranking amps...which is the amount of electricity your car uses to start the engine on a cold day...there is also H.C.A hot cranking amps which is the amount of electricity your car uses to start the engine on a hot day...

~smash
:D :D :D... what??? you guessed on this didnt you...

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »
thats what i thought from memory....i did this in electronics about 1 and a half years ago...so forgive me if my memory is not to flush :D lol and maverick monk i used it as a metaphore :D
Howdy

Offline SeagullOneTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 05:14:58 PM »
have you googled it? and have you read this http://www.societyofrobots.com/batteries.shtml ??? those are the steps that you should take first..cca im pretty sure stands for cold cranking amps..almost positive.

~smash

Yes I did try to google it, but I jut got a bunch of other stuff it stands for with nothing to do with batteries. I also read on about batteries in the society of robots, but didn't find anything about what CCA stands for and what it meant. But thanks for checking on me. ;D

Thanks everybody. Now it makes a lot of sense.
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list