Author Topic: Wounded in battle  (Read 65093 times)

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
Re: Wounded in battle
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2008, 05:40:28 AM »
you never know almost everything comes from china even admins new controler axon
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2008, 10:10:41 AM »
you never know almost everything comes from china even admins new controler axon
Oh crap youre right... now what are they gunna do? Put lead in our solder!? ... oh.... wait...
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline garriwilson

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2008, 10:38:39 AM »
lol you guys are crazy

and i am a bit afraid about 2012, i mean it does seem... a bit special, so many coincidental predictions to one day?

see the robot influence is already spreading through the world's best robotics community...

ooaoh! what next!?!

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2008, 11:06:04 AM »
and i am a bit afraid about 2012, i mean it does seem... a bit special, so many coincidental predictions to one day?

the same thing was predicted for 2000 and nothing happened

there are a lot of coincidences indeed for 2012 , but some of them have been incorrectly analyzed to be 2012
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
Just burnt my finger on a KA7805 vreg >_< something must have been shorting it out >_<
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2008, 05:32:04 PM »
focus, people!

Oh crap youre right... now what are they gunna do? Put lead in our solder!? ... oh.... wait...
They put lead in the last RoHS compliant Axon prototype . . . I tested for it just in case . . . so they are giving me a big discount on the next manufacturing run ;D

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2008, 06:37:19 PM »
They put lead in the last RoHS compliant Axon prototype . . . I tested for it just in case . . . so they are giving me a big discount on the next manufacturing run ;D

just more evidence that i'm right

robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline lkik

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2008, 03:53:44 AM »
wasent realy any thing to do with a robot i was stickin a pen back to gether wit hot glue and i manage to drop some on me
wiped it off and then manage to do it again it has now blistered
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:55:12 AM by lkik »

Offline goatfish

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »
lol, in electroinics i blew up a 555 chip by accident.i melt something weird and i smelt my board,only to get a huge wiff of smoke,whichstank,i inhaled it by accident and my throat was burning. then my friend went and killeda speaker,beats me how  :D

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »
and my throat was burning

thats not good  :o
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline goatfish

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »
well not burning but it felt weird and it seemed like the smoke was stuck in my throat,oh well,its all over now  :)

Offline Truckstop

• Helpful? 2
  • I Void Warrenty's
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2009, 05:08:16 PM »
my List of injurys..

*Scar on right forearm from exact-o knife. i friend tripped...
*Burns on my left hand and chest. i was working with a lithium battery pack, 24volt at 220 amp/hrs, it exploded. (im now afraid of lithium)
* A friends 4wd robot ran me over. it was one of those stupid battle bot things and something shorted in it. Scar on my leg.
*many soldering iron burns.
* and the pasty resistence!

Once while using "quick dry" epoxy i epoxied my hand to my desk. this was a work injury. i bent oven in my seat to pick up a droped component and diddent know my epoxy gun was leaking. 15 minuets later and a bandage wrap and i was free.

Truckstop
The Mongoose: Natures Assassin
The Hyena: Nature's A$$hole
And.....
The Lemming: Natures Retard

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »
Well, my list is

-many soldering iron burns
-molten plastic when i was injection molding a part
-12 stiches after i dropped my dremel with saw attachment attached, dove to stop it from smashing into the ground when i knocked the on switch cutting my hand to pieces.

Offline parallax

• Helpful? 1
    • christopherconley.net
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2009, 06:50:56 PM »
Had a good one happen to me:

I was testing a thruster rig for our ROV for the MATE competition. I had a modified bilge pump (the impeller and the outer housing was cut off) with a 120mm comp fan blade attached to it (for sh*ts and giggles), all rigged to an 8" piece of PVC pipe and a T junction. This whole rig was in a vice on our workbench...

So I hooked up the motor controller, the power source (car battery) and an alpha build of my control software. After turning everything on I let her rip- and rip in did!  :o It was powerful enough to send the whole rig rotating in the vice where it slammed into the edge of the worktable, causing all eight blades of the fan to spectacularly shatter and fly across the room! One caught me a good one right below my eye... No serious damage done but wow did it scare the crap out of me!

Lessons learned:
1) Always make sure things you DON'T want to move are very secure
2) Always power something up *slowly* if your not sure what the end result will be (and sometimes even if you are!)
3) Never get so overexcited you forget safety  ;)
"Less than a drop of blood in me remains that does not tremble;
I recognize the signals of the ancient flame"

Offline Half Shell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2009, 08:31:06 AM »
Back in highschool (2003) my team (I was in FIRST back then. Oi I sound old!!!) had a robot named the Evil Machine for its incredibly rough play with other robots. It had two "wings" that would pneumatically pop out under something like 100 psi to make it a very wide robot for knocking over bins.

Slammed three times by those wings, making it hard to breathe for a day each time.

Two years later my team built a 14 foot telescoping arm (elevator style, not outwards). It had to lift a 10 pound tetrahedron made out of pvc and other home depot supplies. Sure enough when I'm checking something as it raises up (we were testing to see how easy it was to tip on full extension) the cable for the telescoping arm snapped, plummeting everything down onto my head.

I've had my feet ran over by a multitude of robots, weighing from 250 pounds down to 1 (the one pounder didn't hurt, I'll admit).

I've been electrocuted a number of times, but more than anything else I've been burned by hot ICs due to a mistaken wiring, a soldering iron, or just components that run hot.

Thankfully I've always worn my safety goggles and never had any serious injury *knock on wood*.

But you know what they say fellas - if it's your passion, no pain, no gain!

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2009, 05:14:27 AM »

Thankfully I've always worn my safety goggles and never had any serious injury *knock on wood*.

But you know what they say fellas - if it's your passion, no pain, no gain!

you got that right Half Shell

Offline megasuper123

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »
The list of my injury  

1:i burned my toe
2:got almost decapitate got a bad hear cut
3:and got electrocuted now that was a bad one

thats all folks
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:53:33 PM by megasuper123 »

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »
2:got almost decapitate got a bad hear cut
what?
Howdy

Offline izaktj

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
- Exacto knife fell off my hand and landed in my toe like a dart
- Soldering iron burn
- Hot glue burn
- slight cut with the sharp things in the back of the board
- slight cut with the propeller of the aerial platform.

Offline PAT_McUser

• Helpful? 1
  • I just started with robitic.
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2009, 05:55:55 PM »
I remember a nice story a few years ago. I was 18 or 19 and I was sitting next my workbench in the basement. A god friend of my gave me his xbox to make it a lil bit nicer.
I was prepearing a window on the upper part of the consol, I had a bad day and I did start this project because I was left again.
Deep minded I'm cutting the plastic with a hand operated hacksaw (it was the first thing around me to do this work so it was the best choice).
I didn't get that something happend, since I noticed that something drops down to my arm. Looking up to the sprinkled room ceiling, I get that my right thumb hurts (really really hurts!!! Don't try this... ...bad idea). I had cut myself over 1 cm frontal through my thumpnail (and of cause my thump) a nearly 4mm wide 6th finger (you know its tiny but it has a nail and hang around free).
I pulled of the saw graped some lope and rubbertape and rush to the washbasin to get the wound a bit clean and make a pressure combined. (I hadn't to do so much, the blood pushed out the most plasticmaterial.)
I decided to stop working this day (sawing to myself and cutting my... ...you know... ...enough for one day), the last thing I had done was to painting over the bloody sprinkles. I went up in the livingroom to watch some TV, of cause my mother noticed that there was a over 4 cm diameter combined made of old t-shirt pieces and rubber tape around my thumb (only around this, it looks like I have a gigant finger). She was accustomed that I have some small burns or cuts, so she asks: "Have you cut you some more?" my short answer "A Lil bit..." She wants to sea what must be covert so much, after a few min I was ride of this "show me, show me, bla bla" so I opened my rubbertape and the blood shoots over the table. My mom got crazy "We must go to doctor, it must be sewn...", to this my short answer"you would to see... ...there it was... ...yes,it hurts enough so no sewing!" I got a new combined and left it.
Without sewing only by strong combinions my thumb grow together again, the only thing remembering me is a scar.
(Remember,cut everything away from you.) (At the long time with plaster It was a awful feeling to touch something with the little part, it really feels like a 6th finger.It needs long before this strange feeling ends.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:00:57 PM by PAT_McUser »
I just started with robitic.

PS.: you have to sorry my bad english.

Offline Starkannon

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #200 on: November 14, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
I am very new to robotics but I love the community, my DIY project mishaps well I messed with rockets for awhile so we had our share of various explosions and bad launches. But one comes to mind, I made a huge rocket, it was designed to go ten miles straight up. I spend months working on the thing. Well, when I launched it it went up about 100 feet did a 90 and flew and blew up in the parking lot. As to electronics, I stabbed myself trying to recover a heat sync. I needed four stitches.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2009, 04:19:06 AM »
when you do something like that you have much more appreciation for what the tool can do there for you take more care an doiuble check everything. well that is what i found after recieving 10 stiches from a dremel.

Offline GWER57

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »
My only mess ups with soldering irons were once when i was a noob i touched the tip when it was still hot :o
And another time when i dropped it into my lap and burned a hole through my shirt ;D.
GTW

Offline Hertz32

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2010, 03:24:39 PM »
hot gulue on hand
motor tip in chest
solder burns

Get Your Ad Here