go away spammer

Author Topic: Wounded in battle  (Read 65088 times)

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: Wounded in battle
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »
Oh speaking of drills and screw drivers and such, I had to fix a motor that went in the back of my 86' Toyota 4Runner (Im never getting rid of that truck, I absolutely love it. I had that seizure when I was working on it and when the EMTs asked my birthday when I was still half conscious, I said my birthday was in 1986 lol. I was actually born in 1989 hahaha) that raised and lowered the rear window on the tailgate and the 3 bolts that held it in had rusted so bad that they snapped off instead of unscrewed. So when I went to drill them out I put too much pressure on the drill and the bit snapped sending it through my finger in 2 places. It was bleeding quite a bit and I think in one spot it hit the bone in my finger. It didnt hurt at all either which was awesome... until of course the adrenaline stopped flowing... then it hurt lol. But yeah I just wrapped it in a paper towel with some neosporin and taped it and went back out to work on it :P I still have that motor too :) I had to buy a new one to put in my truck though because the motor appears to be dead... but im going to try to resurrect it soon and use it as a robot drive motor because it only needs 12v and has a very decent amount of torque :)

Oh, and one of the scars, the deepest one, is actually healing very nicely. You can barely see it anymore compared to about 2 weeks after it happened. The other one though is still pretty visible... ah well :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:39:50 AM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2008, 12:25:26 PM »
Just burnt myself on my desoldering iron about 30 seconds ago >_<
Infantry

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2008, 03:24:55 PM »
ouch that sound very painful (the one about your fingers) I don't even want to think about it  :-X <-this is actually me barfing. lol  ;D

Robots are awesome!

Offline RebelgiumTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:35 AM »
Oh speaking of drills and screw drivers and such, I had to fix a motor that went in the back of my 86' Toyota 4Runner (Im never getting rid of that truck, I absolutely love it. I had that seizure when I was working on it and when the EMTs asked my birthday when I was still half conscious, I said my birthday was in 1986 lol. I was actually born in 1989 hahaha) that raised and lowered the rear window on the tailgate and the 3 bolts that held it in had rusted so bad that they snapped off instead of unscrewed. So when I went to drill them out I put too much pressure on the drill and the bit snapped sending it through my finger in 2 places. It was bleeding quite a bit and I think in one spot it hit the bone in my finger. It didnt hurt at all either which was awesome... until of course the adrenaline stopped flowing... then it hurt lol. But yeah I just wrapped it in a paper towel with some neosporin and taped it and went back out to work on it :P I still have that motor too :) I had to buy a new one to put in my truck though because the motor appears to be dead... but im going to try to resurrect it soon and use it as a robot drive motor because it only needs 12v and has a very decent amount of torque :)

Oh, and one of the scars, the deepest one, is actually healing very nicely. You can barely see it anymore compared to about 2 weeks after it happened. The other one though is still pretty visible... ah well :)

great story!
Keep wounding yourself for the sake of our amusement. ;)
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2008, 06:46:47 PM »
A colleague of one of my teachers was in the army as a technician of some sort(they both were) and they were working on a certain military device that needed to be fixed. So the guy was soldering something in there and it was a tight fit so he couldnt solder and see at the same time. He had to remove the soldering iron and look in to see his work. Well one of the times that he removed the soldering iron, he accidentally rested it on his forehead and apparently didnt realize it for a second or two hahaha.... yeah :)

Ive also had an electrolytic capacitor blow up in my face once. Lucky for me there was a metal bar a little less than an inch wide in between my face and the capacitor at just the right distances that it shield my face from the metal and paper shrapnel :P it was cool though cuz the smoke lingered quite a bit :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:53:21 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
Infantry

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »
how do you blow a capacitor?? :D
Robots are awesome!

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2008, 06:52:59 PM »
well technically no one knows why capacitors blow up... at least thats what ive heard from a pretty reliable source. But believe me, it was a capacitor and it definitely blew up lol :P
Infantry

Offline cooldog

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • be nice to nerds, one day they will be your boss
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »
me and a friend where playing around with the flash from a distosable camera and when taking off the capacitor i forgot to short it. boy did i get a shock when the sparks went flying and sent x volts through my players into my hand
robot will rule the world and i will be building them
-admin

favorite web sites
http://www.societyofrobots.com/
http://www.instructables.com/

Offline maverick monk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2008, 07:40:13 PM »
not nice, my dad told me to lick the plug to a old fashoned flash for a 70's slr... DANG!

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »
boy did i get a shock when the sparks went flying and sent x volts through my players into my hand

we all know how that feels. At least I do.
Robots are awesome!

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2008, 07:58:29 PM »
not nice, my dad told me to lick the plug to a old fashoned flash for a 70's slr... DANG!

:D  :D  :D
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:42 PM »
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
I dont know whats funnier. The fact that your dad told you to do it or the fact that you actually did it hahaha

boy did i get a shock when the sparks went flying and sent x volts through my players into my hand

we all know how that feels. At least I do.
All too well... sometimes its fun though to get shocked... ...especially when you charge one and throw it to someone so they catch it without thinking about it until its already in their hands >=D that always makes me feel better :P
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:39:47 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
Infantry

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2008, 01:20:47 PM »
My dad says they used to do that in college. ;D
Robots are awesome!

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »
We had to watch a training video when I was in the Navy. A radar tech working on my system was working on a klystron tube that produces about a megawatt of power, and had battleshorted all the safety switches so he could get readings. Long story short, he left his boot (with his foot still in it) welded to the deck, and they were cleaning the rest of him off the wall. They loved showing us that kind of stuff, it kept us from bypassing safety procedures too much. There was also this guy in Pearl that was working up on a radar antenna, and someone ignored the red tags and radiated out of the antenna. The tech working on the antenna had first degree burns all over his body where his skin had started to boil, and he had burst both his testicles.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2008, 02:49:23 PM »
o wow. so what happened to the second guy? they started transmitting and that happened?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline bukowski

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »
Yeah, when you have people working aloft you have tagging procedures, usually double-blind. You red tag power switches, circuit breakers, etc. telling people not to turn the equipment on. Some genius decided to ignore all the tags, transmitted, and microwaved the poor fellow.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »
how do you blow a capacitor?? :D

You can only blow electrolitic capacitor... Did you know that caps are short of the opposite of a diode!!!
So try applying an overrated voltage with correct pollarizing... Wait some time (30 sec or so depending on the cap)
and then reverse the voltage.... You should have a fire cracker then!!!
hehehe
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »
all over his body where his skin had started to boil, and he had burst both his testicles.
owchy!!
Howdy

Offline garriwilson

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
and he had burst both his testicles.
I will NEVER ignore instructions from now on. I feel sorry for that guy. Did he live?

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »
ya but was in emotional pain for the rest of his life...he commit suiside ;D poor guy.
Howdy

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »
If my "capacitors" burst like that, id probably kill myself too... plus if I had all that scar tissue all over my body and most likely cancer in some places I wouldnt want to live with that. Id be the first person to ever jump out of an airplane without a parachute or an intended landing zone :P
Infantry

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2008, 03:58:06 PM »
Id be the first person to ever jump out of an airplane without a parachute or an intended landing zone
lol  ;D
Robots are awesome!

Offline RebelgiumTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
    • orgcrime.net
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2008, 04:15:43 PM »
If my "capacitors" burst like that, id probably kill myself too... plus if I had all that scar tissue all over my body and most likely cancer in some places I wouldnt want to live with that. Id be the first person to ever jump out of an airplane without a parachute or an intended landing zone :P

By the looks of your sig, what are you waiting for?

JK mate, that's just the risk you take when you post your pic in your sig ;) ;D
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2008, 04:26:36 PM »
*Begins to cry uncontrollably and runs upstairs to mommy*

No im JK :) I dont really care what comments people make about my appearance, joking or otherwise(like in your case :P). Its what I know and dont know that matters :)
Infantry

Offline garriwilson

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2008, 04:51:24 PM »
I heard that people who make fun of other people have low self-esteem and try to make themselves fell good about themselves by doing that.  ;D

This actually happened a week ago. I just took a 9v battery and a DC motor. So I put the two end of the battery to the motor and it starts spinning. Then I put it to my nail and I'm like "hey I don't need to go to the dentist anymore, this sound just like it." Well after I did that a lot, my fingernail cracked in the middle. My battery is red, my motor is red, because I bled so much. It didn't break on the part that's white that you cut off. It cracked the way that I don't have half of it anymore.

P.S. Please don't ask for pics.  ;D

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »
I wont
can't say anything about them

o look who decided to join us

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »
All im saying I support the smilies' opinions :)
Infantry

Offline SciOlyStudent

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2008, 07:49:23 PM »
I once had an entire 555 stick completely into my friggen index finger...

WHAT were you doing?!?!? :o

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2008, 09:15:36 PM »
probably tried to jam the 555 timer chip into a circuit board, it slipped and whoops , into his finger
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Get Your Ad Here