Author Topic: What do you know! girlfriends are conducive to robot projects.  (Read 2188 times)

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
What do you know! girlfriends are conducive to robot projects.
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »
so i've been neglecting my electronics projects for some time since i met my girlfriend but i've discovered something really neat as a result. sticky tack! it's used for posters which i found out while having to remove them from magazines, sort them by who's picture they are and apply sticky tack. thing is that it's also really mold able and useful for sticking together electronic parts too! it's actually really good stuff and i hope to use it in the future!
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Re: What do you know! girlfriends are conducive to robot projects.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:44:20 PM »
yea  :)  I find it great for holding components down when soldering.

Offline Redcap

• Helpful? 11
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »
I've been meaning to try this out since I don't have a 3rd hand gripping tool (yet).
Does it melt or burn if you happen to make contact with the Iron..?

paulstreats

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:16:56 AM »
The idea is to hold the component with the blue tack then solder the leads on the OTHER side if the board. The soldering iron shouldnt make contact with the blue tack.

Remember that blue tack can leave an oily residue so using it on solder pads (as in to hold down surface mount components) isnt the best idea as the solder may have trouble adhering to the pad and component.

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:05:56 PM »
The sticky-tack will heat up and just becomes more elastic, but wont melt into a liquid.  Smells of plastic when burnt (i.e. comes in contact with the iron).

Offline Redcap

• Helpful? 11
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:36:22 AM »
Ah, thank you both :)
Paulstreats, I'll be sure to watch out for that as the idea I had in mind was soldering on longer leads to harvested components for prototyping/testing  :)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:16:47 PM »
Hi,

The idea is to hold the component with the blue tack then solder the leads on the OTHER side if the board.
Now what's wrong with the time approved piece of foam "rubber" and elastic bands?  Leaves no residue at all, just populate, add foam and fasten with the elastic bands, turn upside down, bend-cut-and-solder the entire board in one go.

Or, if you prefer mounting them one at a time, get half an inch of silicone rubber tubing wide enough to fit the tip of your middle finger and use that to hold down (or rather up) the component while soldering.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

data_list