Author Topic: type of batteries for servos  (Read 2124 times)

Offline nachiTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
type of batteries for servos
« on: November 23, 2007, 12:24:37 AM »
hi...
this is in reference to a an inquiry for batteries i posted earlier..
For the servo HSR5995 TG the operating current is mentioned to be 380mA (ideal) and 5.2 A ( stall)..
What is exactly meant by stall current requirement...
It is getting difficult to find a good battery source for this servo motor .... Will  7.2 V 2500mAh source be sufficient for operating such two servos for say atleast  4 Hrs. OR should I go for 5 Ah battery.
I have been facing problems charging the 2100mAh batteries . They seem to empty out too soon.
Also, I do not need to place my batteries over the moving robot. I will be keeping them aside and use long wires to connect them to the servos as 
the motion of robot is not that much.
So weight of the batteries is not of that importance...Keeping this in mind  should I go for Lead Acid batteries...Are these type of batteries reliable  and sufficient to provide high amperage current.
Plz suggest a suitable battery pack. Cost is not that much of importance right now. Getting the servos to move for sufficient period of time is the main thing.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: type of batteries for servos
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »
for previous reference:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=2367.msg15926#msg15926
(try to keep your related posts together)

For the servo HSR5995 TG the operating current is mentioned to be 380mA (ideal) and 5.2 A ( stall)..
What is exactly meant by stall current requirement...
This means that your servo will drain 380mA doing nothing and 5.2A when so much torque is being applied it cannot rotate any longer. This is basically your expected min and max current draw.

Will  7.2 V 2500mAh source be sufficient for operating such two servos for say atleast  4 Hrs. OR should I go for 5 Ah battery.
You will need to know your exact current draw (use a multimeter) to calculate this. But this battery calculator will help you when you have that info:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/battery_calculator.shtml

I have been facing problems charging the 2100mAh batteries . They seem to empty out too soon.
Are you sure they are being fully charged? Use the calculator and see if it's close to what you get . . .

Also, I do not need to place my batteries over the moving robot. I will be keeping them aside and use long wires to connect them to the servos as 
the motion of robot is not that much.
So weight of the batteries is not of that importance...Keeping this in mind  should I go for Lead Acid batteries...Are these type of batteries reliable  and sufficient to provide high amperage current.
a very similar question was asked/answered here:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=2420.0

Get Your Ad Here

data_list