Author Topic: Another Power Question  (Read 1749 times)

Offline DanscoTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Another Power Question
« on: January 16, 2009, 01:23:54 PM »
Hi All,
I'm sorry if this has been answered already. I tried searching but I need a brain check!

problem:
I have 12v battery, I have 12v motors (wheelchair) and I have a OOPIC-r micro.  The micro needs 5v regulated input.  (it has its own 9v to 5v regulator on it, but allows external regulated supply)    How to I get regulated 5v into my micro without letting out the magic smoke?   This widget (http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=508) looks perfect.   Your comments please.

Thanks in advance.
Dansco

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Another Power Question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:58:43 AM »
Hi,

Why not build it yourself?

The regulator you linked to might work, but personally I have little faith in it, since the photo of the board is so blurred that you cannot make out which regulator IC they used. A pro company would not use such blurred photos.

Further, from their choice in components, it seems they are not too good at regulator design.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline want2learn

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:44:15 AM »
I've got to agree with Soeren again :D

They're going to charge the better part of $10 for that :o. Then an additional charge for the heatsink!!! >:(

I've never looked for PSU's before but that seems like a rip off to me.

What regulator's on the board you've got, maybe it can be swapped out without too much hassle.
I'm not familiar with your board so I can't say more for now.
The question that drives me hazy:

Am I, or the others crazy?

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 07:46:20 AM »
I have powered my OOPic-R board directly from a 12V SLA battery whith no regulator heating. That is because the board draws little current. However, I was using a 6V regulator for the servos that was heating up a lot so I had to power the servos directly from a 6V SLA battery.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!