go away spammer

Author Topic: Axon Holder  (Read 8207 times)

Offline Razor ConceptsTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Axon Holder
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:48:26 PM »
I was getting worred about shorting out my Axon so I mounted it on a Hitec servo box. Mounted a switch in there and squeezed in a battery. I'm going to drill holes in the bottom of the box so that I can mount it to stuff. Anyone else have their own mounting system?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Axon Holder
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:56:07 AM »
That's a nice and compact piece of work there!

I don't really have a "mounting board," per se, but I do use a piece of 1/4" pink insulation foam on the entire underside of the Axon to give myself a smooth surface to work with.
I

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 12:58:41 PM »
This is a really great idea, because then you can swap out board, battery, and switch to a different robot really quickly.

I don't have an Axon yet, but I mounted my $50 robot board directly to the robot chassis with the hex offsets w/shank, the battery is held on with velcro to the chassis, and the switch is just hanging around loose. I don't want to mount it to the robot :(

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
Neat!

Now, where can I find a box like that? Seriously.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 10:07:44 PM »
Whoa neat idea! Another thought . . . put velcro at the bottom of the box, and then you can easily move your Axon between various projects you are working on.

Ro-Bot-X, those boxes come with any of the more expensive Hitec servos.

I'm putting this thread on the Axon examples page.

Offline Bret

• Helpful? 0
    • Bret Jordan
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:29:37 AM »
That is a great idea!

I've gotta start looking for a battery/Axon sized box.  ;D

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »

Offline Penth

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »
How about Tupperware sandwich keepers?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&resnum=0&q=tupperware%20sandwich%20keeper&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I made a robot chassis out of one of these, sadly I took poor pictures that I can't find thanks to my wife.

Offline Bret

• Helpful? 0
    • Bret Jordan
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:08:40 PM »
I found a box and mounted my switch and Axon.

Thanks for the great idea!

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
I get boxes from work that are PERFECT for this sort of thing. The lids are detachable from the bottom part which is a different size so I can technically make 3 different size boxes from two of them. 1 size using both the bottoms, 1 size using a top and a bottom, and a third size using the tops. Heres some pics:

A picture from the top with a ruler:

A picture on an angle with a ruler:

A picture from the top with a ruler measuring the sides:

A picture from the side measuring the height:

A picture of how the lid and bottoms go together; theyre detachable and re-attachable:

A picture from the front showing the three different sizes I can make since theyre detachable and re-attachable:

An angle picture of the 3 sizes:

As you can see in the second to last and the last pictures, some of them have an opaque blue bottom but most are transparent. I have TONS of these. We used to throw them out because no one seemed to have a need for them but when I discovered them I let everyone know that I was taking them home and to not throw them out and to save them for me. Now I have soooo many. Its nice cuz ill never run out of project boxes lol. In the last picture you can see how I get them with the label on the top and stuff. That comes off pretty easy and doesnt leave any residue if I do it slowly. Underneath the label is blue sharpy but that comes off with rubbing alcohol pretty easily. Ive been using hand sanitizer because it was on sale and a warehouse type store for like a pack of 8 or something for like 3 bucks. Had to get it lol. Anyway, the first 5 pictures show what they look like after a quick clean up. Theres some residue from the label on it because I didnt take my time with it because I specifically cleaned that one up for the forum pictures lol. But normally they are spotless and perfect for my needs.

Id be willing to ship a couple to people if youre willing to pay for the shipping costs :)
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:38:25 PM »
HDL_CinC_Dragon, you may find the plastic type for your boxes are likely to crack. Try drilling or cutting them, and you'll see what I mean. Extra care will need to be taken.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »
I have already drilled and cut them. Ive been using an xacto knife to make my cuts. I just go over my cuts over and over on the boxes until I get through it enough and then they just snap right off and I just file the edges down with an old emery board lol. They are prone to cracking though when working on them like this but every time they cracked I was also going against everything ive taught myself about the boxes lol. Theyre great none-the-less. Im already using 2 of them as project boxes.

For the Axon or the $50 robot board I would use either the middle size or the large size and mount it so the board was VERY close to the top, almost touching, and cut holes where the pin headers are so I can get to them easy. Doing this also allows room under the PCB for the tutorial recommended 6v NiMh battery pack.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:45:05 PM by HDL_CinC_Dragon »
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Razor ConceptsTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 08:26:35 PM »
Soon after completing the Axon holder, little brother mega168 and baby brother tiny25 got jealous. They refused to program, so I was forced into creating a holder for them.

Get Your Ad Here