Author Topic: Micromouse maze solver  (Read 3924 times)

Offline congo509Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Micromouse maze solver
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:14:23 AM »
Hi everyone,
   I want to build a micro mouse maze solver right now my question is hardware related.  My question is can I use what I have already made as in, I have build the $50 robot could I use this to build my maze robot.  I also bought the Axon as well and waiting for it to be shipped.  Will the circuit made for the  $50 robot work, I will have to buy a dc motors I do not want to use the servo because I want the robot to move fast.  I have a $500 budget,  I do not want to use a kit I want to build it myself and work on the code from society of robots and help from my fellow site members. 

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Micromouse maze solver
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:40:39 AM »
Since you want to use motors instead of servos and change the processor I think it would be better to build a new Bot and leave the $50 Bot alone.
This way you can make changes from what you learned from building the $50 Bot on the new Bot.

The DC motors will require a dual H-bridge and different sensor arraignment for a  Maze solver. The Axon is a good choice for this new project.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 12:06:29 PM »
If I did not want to use the Axon, how would I go about building a new board to support this project?  are there any tutorials on this web site? Thank you

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »
Honestly, even though I use an Axon and really like it, it isn't necessary for your project.  You could easily use your $50 robot and upgrade it, although depending on what you want it to do, you may be better off with a new microcontroller.   First I would do some planning and decide what you really are looking for as far as hardware.  For example how many ADC ports do you expect to need, etc.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »
Hi all thank you for the quick responses thus far,   I am trying to over simplifying this for now to see what I need to start with so please chime in anytime.  S0 the hard wear I would be needing for the maze solver are as follows.
Platform , wheels, two motors either servo or dc motor,  if dc motor h-bridges, 3 ir range finders, one in front and one on either side to center between walls, a caster for the rear, and finally the circuit that is programmed to run it all (axon or $50).  Is there anything else I may need ? or better suggestions ?

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
Don't forget to include encoders.  It will help to keep you in a straight line.  In addition, depending on the maze's design, I would probably include a servo to pan one of the IR sensors left and right to avoid narrow obstacles (standard chair-leg scenario).  Possibly include some standard bumper sensors too.  You can get small servos for sensors for about $2-4 USD shipped to the US.
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 06:44:49 AM »
please explain what a encoder is .  Thank you

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:31:32 AM »
please explain what a encoder is .  Thank you

an encoder, a rotery encoder in particular is a device that measures precisely how fast and long a shaft turns. it can be infrared with an encoder wheel or inductive with a magnet implanted into the shaft. for this kind of thing i think the axon is WAY more then you need. you can use the micro you built for the $50 robot but for motors you will need to add an H bridge and the easiest way to do that is ti use a dual H bridge IC such as a L293d. some gear motors are nifty in that they have encoders built right into them and those will do nicely for this project. for speed you should make sure your motors are between 30 (for a very slow maze solver) to 200rpm (a relatively fast one)
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
Thank you everyone with the fast responses.  I will do some more research and give updates and question as I progress. 

Offline slurp

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
    • MiniSumo.Org.UK
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »

It might be worth having a read here:-

http://www.micromouseonline.com/forum/

I've seen a few interesting solutions to low cost building (with encoders) and more where they use step motors. There may also be a few ideas here:-

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/kit110.pdf

I've seen this running in a number of UK competitions.

Best regards,
Colin

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
My advice is to start with the mouse, and worry about the micro part in later iterations.  It's going to take trial and error to get the concept to work. Adding in the PITA that is working with very closely packed parts will just be frustrating, initially.
I

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 01:15:02 PM »
Thank you for the advice,I planed on it being a good size while I work through the trials I just used the name for the subject of the post .  Thank you everyone for all the help my Axon came a few days ago so I am excited all around.