Electronics > Electronics

AC-DC (no not the hardrock-countrytrance-techno band)

<< < (2/3) > >>

cjwillms:
Really nice haul.

From what I can tell, it looks like your SGI camera is useing a CMUcam . This link may prove to be useful, but I'm not really sure
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cmucam/gallery.html

polar bear6:
so i just de-solder the capacitator and put +11,1V on where it used to be the capacitators + pole, and then take my ground wire thingy and put it on the ground of the schemetic... right?

will it work with 12V?

Admin:
Ummm no keep the capacitor, but remove the transformer.

My theory is that the large capacitor is part of the AC to DC circuit, helping to smooth out the DC voltage to a constant voltage. It would be the last step. But there are probably more electronics between the transformer and capacitor, perhaps a regulator or diode or something. See if there is. Basically trace the wires.

When your device is turned on, see what the voltage is across the capacitor. That would be the voltage you need to replicate (if my theory is correct). It should be less than the 11V on the transformer.

You could also probably apply a DC voltage directly where the transformer wires are after removing the transfer. But I have no idea what will happen if you apply a DC voltage to an AC to DC converter input . . . Perhaps apply 11V DC? No idea.  ???

Just apply a small voltage and just keep increasing the voltage until the capacitor has the voltage it normally has under AC voltage.

And it will work under 12V if there is a regulator somewhere in the circuit. Since batteries are a volt or two over the rated voltage when fully charged, it would be a good idea to add an 11V regulator since I doubt this device has one.

g'luck!

Botanic:
To me it looks as if there are four diodes underneath the two pinkish white and one red cable. I could be wrong since the picture is not so good.
But if they are diodes and four of them, it is definetly a simple AC/DC converter.

In that case, just plug it in and measure the voltage across the big capacitor. Then remove the cap and cut the wires between the diodes and the cap.Then solder one plus and one minus cable to where the cap used to be.
The capacitor is not needed if it is fed with DC from a battery.

Admin:
Botanic, yea that makes sense.

As for the capacitor, I would perfer to keep the cap simply because it acts as a good energy buffer. Of course for a battery connection you dont need a cap even half that big for supression, but why remove it if its already there?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version