go away spammer

Author Topic: $50 robot microcontroller  (Read 1848 times)

Offline robotmaniacTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
$50 robot microcontroller
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:19:09 PM »
Hi, i was wondering if I could use the $50 microcontroller for a sumo robot and can I add some crystals to it? What other things can I add to improve its performance? I know it would be better to just buy another microcontroller but actually what i most like about robotics is building the microcontroller myself. Thanks in advance.
Learning from what I can...

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: $50 robot microcontroller
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »
Hi,

i was wondering if I could use the $50 microcontroller for a sumo robot
Sure, you just need to make another program for it of course.

and can I add some crystals to it? What other things can I add to improve its performance?
You can add a crystal, but you won't get any improved performance for what you wanna do, from doing so.
Not sure if you mean improving a Sumo or improving the controller?

I know it would be better to just buy another microcontroller but actually what i most like about robotics is building the microcontroller myself.
Let's be clear on the concepts. The microcontroller is the actual chip (which you aren't able to build). When you stuff it into a board, you get a microcontroller board.
If building the board is what gives you a buzz, you don't need to confine yourself to robotics - almost any piece of electronics can be made with a microcontroller (although it sometimes makes no, or very little sense).

For a Sumo the "$50 board" is more than enough and you'd gain absolutely nothing by using a more capable board.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
I meant improving the microcontroller and no hard feelings i wanna keep it cool with you but I said "most" doesn't mean i don't like the other stuff about robotics just saying. But thanks for the advice :) are we cool?  But back to the topic would it improve the performance of the microcontroller

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »
and can I add some crystals to it? What other things can I add to improve its performance?
You can add a crystal, but you won't get any improved performance for what you wanna do, from doing so.
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:44:02 AM »
Hi,

I meant improving the microcontroller and no hard feelings i wanna keep it cool with you but I said "most" doesn't mean i don't like the other stuff about robotics just saying. But thanks for the advice :) are we cool?
We're making robots, how can we not be cool ;D

But back to the topic would it improve the performance of the microcontroller
A crystal will improve the precision of the timing, but that won't improve how a Sumo handles (unless you have issues with servos without it).

The most important things in a Sumo is torque, mechanical design and then some more torque :)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »
ok thanks  ;D and do you know anything that would improve the microcontollers performance regardless the purpose it has? I mean forget that I'am going to use it for a Sumo I'am planning to make various microcontroller boards and stuff  for other experimental robots I have in mind

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Hi,

[...] do you know anything that would improve the microcontollers performance regardless the purpose it has? I mean forget that I'am going to use it for a Sumo I'am planning to make various microcontroller boards and stuff  for other experimental robots I have in mind
Problem is, that your question is like asking "What's the best car in the world".

What's an improvement in one situation may be a hindrance in another, so you can't just make one super board, but have to make them for the specific project (at least to some extent), or accept using inferior solutions.

The very misused term "one size fits all" really means "bad fit for most" ;D
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »
Ok thanks :)

Get Your Ad Here