go away spammer

Author Topic: got high current power supply recommendation?  (Read 4289 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
got high current power supply recommendation?
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:29:54 AM »
My 2 yr/old GPS-4303 has been failing and no longer able to supply my required 6V at ~2A+ . . . and only after light to medium use of it :(

So I'm in the market for another bench top power supply. Anyone recommend any reliable brands? I need a power supply that doesn't force me to buy a new one every ~2 years :P

My price range is between $300 - $600 . . . but I'm in a bit of a time squeeze and somewhat willing to go higher . . .

Anyone with opinions on these?
http://metersuperstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=431E3614A
http://www.valuetronics.com/Details.aspx?ProdID=16194

Offline ceruleanplains

• Helpful? 0
  • Got Wumpus?
    • Project Log
Re: got high current power supply recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:00:41 AM »
I'm also looking at a 0-30V / 0-20 A power supply.   I found some on Jameco but it only has one output (which seems ok by me). 

I need one to power my relay card for the submarine propulsion unit instead of using a set of car batteries (which may or may not be a good idea) in the 12V at 0-10A draw for general sizes of pumps - but I'll need bigger in the upcoming months.

JAMECO: 207686, MF: HY3020
It's 600W (obviously) and is in the price range specified... but it's heavy (42 lb!)

I found some other units
Variable

http://multimetercenter.com/powersupply.htm

Constant
http://radioproshop.com/pyramid-ps/ps21kx.htm

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »
I ended up getting the Xantrex XPH18-10MHV.

The pic is wrong (I knew this when buying it). Its only a single output.

Offline dsheller

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:45:08 PM »
This might be a little off topic... but converting an old computer PSU to a benchtop power supply is very easy to do, and also really cheap. You won't get as tight a voltage regulation as you would on a real one, but the one I recently converted is pretty decent as the voltage only varies within a few percent of the target.

I turned a 480 W power supply into a benchtop, and so far, am very happy with the results.

Offline ceruleanplains

• Helpful? 0
  • Got Wumpus?
    • Project Log
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »
a friend of mine proposed the idea of moding a computer psu, but i rejected it for my case for getting into the 20A world... and me not wanting to burn down my condo.  if you're doing things at 3.3-5V at 0-2 A i can see it being pretty reasonable however.

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »
SO you would not recommend the GPS 4303? I as going to buy one because thats what the lab at the school had when I was in class.

I really liked the power supply. but if it doesn't last then I'll find a replacment.

We also had some Global Specialties GP-505s those where nice for prototyping but cost like $400. They have a small power suply with AC and DC output, a cheap function generator (by cheap I mean the square waves where BAD hugh spikes on them.) but is has a BCD 2 digit display and some logic level indicators and various pots and switchs/buttons on it. Really nice to work on. and a really big breadboard surface. just have to fin the cash for one
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline dsheller

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »
a friend of mine proposed the idea of moding a computer psu, but i rejected it for my case for getting into the 20A world... and me not wanting to burn down my condo.  if you're doing things at 3.3-5V at 0-2 A i can see it being pretty reasonable however.

You can get a lot more than 0-2 A out of it. The one I converted states it can max out at 38 A at 5V... granted i converted a 480W power-supply. I am not sure what it provides at 12 volts, but it is probably fairly decent as well. I think it is a good way to go if you're looking for a cheap benchtop supply... I'd much rather skimp on the supply this time out and buy some quality motors / servos.

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »
What all do you need to do to convert the PSU?
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline dsheller

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 04:39:38 PM »
The one he linked you is the exact one I found... luckily I had a load resistor already built in to my PSU -- you may have the same thing. It's a pretty decent instruction set, one thing I don't like he said to do was solder to the banana-posts. The posts I bought have a threaded post, so I found the best way was to use one of the solderless terminals that you can just crimp the wires inside of...

http://www.weisd.com/store2/SRCRIN-10I.jpg

I bought a bunch of those at the hardware store, they're coming in handy.

Offline ceruleanplains

• Helpful? 0
  • Got Wumpus?
    • Project Log
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 12:18:38 PM »
I ended up getting the Xantrex XPH18-10MHV.

The pic is wrong (I knew this when buying it). Its only a single output.

out of curiousity did you lease it or buy it... found an interesting ad @ http://www.valuetronics.com/NoInterest.aspx offering 0% interest over 12 months after which you own it.  strange terms... but true.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
I ended up buying it. But it wasn't powerful enough, so I'm looking around again:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=8628.0

Get Your Ad Here

data_list