go away spammer

Author Topic: fire sensitive  (Read 3092 times)

Offline aruna1Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
fire sensitive
« on: September 16, 2008, 07:21:40 AM »
hello guys i'm thinking about building a robot that will attract to a fire(to a burning candels)
can you guys give me suggetions about which sensors i should use and what type of method should i use?
I'm Me

Offline SeagullOne

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Humans and Robots working together for our future.
    • Loren John Presley - Author, Artist, Roboteer
Re: fire sensitive
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:34:08 AM »
You could use and PIR sensor and hack it to detect the flame of the candle. While these sensors are mainly used to detect changes in infrared radiation, with a little adjustment they could be made to detect the small flame of the candle. What you do is you somehow narrow the field of view of the sensor (the wider the sensor's field of view, the more power it's going to need to receive to detect the flame--good for a bigger fire maybe, but not a candle.)

Another way you could probably do this is use a heat sensor. What you have your robot do is feel the ambient temperature with this heart sensor and seek out warmer air until it eventually gets to the candle.

That's about all I know, however. Anyone else have any ideas?

Loren
I think the chauffeur did it.

He did.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:51:26 PM »
You could use and PIR sensor and hack it to detect the flame of the candle. While these sensors are mainly used to detect changes in infrared radiation, with a little adjustment they could be made to detect the small flame of the candle. What you do is you somehow narrow the field of view of the sensor (the wider the sensor's field of view, the more power it's going to need to receive to detect the flame--good for a bigger fire maybe, but not a candle.)

Another way you could probably do this is use a heat sensor. What you have your robot do is feel the ambient temperature with this heart sensor and seek out warmer air until it eventually gets to the candle.

That's about all I know, however. Anyone else have any ideas?

Loren

thank you very much.can you point me some relevent reading stuff like tutorials?
I'm Me

Offline SeagullOne

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:51:50 PM »
Sure! Here's a method found in a book:

You use a pyro electric sensor, and just modify it a little for detecting a small fire. A good sensor would be the PIR sensor you can order from parallax. All I think you do is narrow its field of view (like put a tube around it or something). This way, the sensor will detect smaller fields of Infrared emission, such as that of a candle fire, and not mistake it (hopefully) for something else (cats, squirrels, people, you get the idea).

What you do is mount the sensor on your robot, and have the robot roam around. Have the robot stop every once in a while so it can watch for the the flickering flame of the candle. Otherwise, if the sensor is taking a reading while the robot is in motion, the sensor will read the changing of IR emissions in the environment as the robot is moving. The PIR sensor is compatable with all Parallax microcontrollers, so you might want to go with one of those for the robots processing unit.

(By the way, if you can, I'd get a copy of "Robot Builder's Bonanza 3rd Edition." You can order it from amazon. I wouldn't have been able to get so far in robotics without it!)

Good luck!

Loren

He did.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:41 PM »
remember to always search before asking, its been asked a dozen times ;D

flame sensor

fire sensor

fire fight

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 07:33:18 AM »
Sure! Here's a method found in a book:

You use a pyro electric sensor, and just modify it a little for detecting a small fire. A good sensor would be the PIR sensor you can order from parallax. All I think you do is narrow its field of view (like put a tube around it or something). This way, the sensor will detect smaller fields of Infrared emission, such as that of a candle fire, and not mistake it (hopefully) for something else (cats, squirrels, people, you get the idea).

What you do is mount the sensor on your robot, and have the robot roam around. Have the robot stop every once in a while so it can watch for the the flickering flame of the candle. Otherwise, if the sensor is taking a reading while the robot is in motion, the sensor will read the changing of IR emissions in the environment as the robot is moving. The PIR sensor is compatable with all Parallax microcontrollers, so you might want to go with one of those for the robots processing unit.

(By the way, if you can, I'd get a copy of "Robot Builder's Bonanza 3rd Edition." You can order it from amazon. I wouldn't have been able to get so far in robotics without it!)

Good luck!

Loren

thanks
I'm Me

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • I'm an Ordinary guy
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 07:43:02 AM »
remember to always search before asking, its been asked a dozen times ;D

flame sensor

fire sensor

fire fight

oops sure :)
I'm Me

Offline SeagullOne

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 05:39:39 PM »
My bad too. Had no idea myself.  ;D

He did.

Get Your Ad Here