Author Topic: charging batteries using motors  (Read 2188 times)

Offline ballbreakerTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
charging batteries using motors
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
I have searched the internet to find an answer but i didn't find what i was looking.

am trying to charge a battery by spinning motors but the obvious question is when i connect them the battery will give energy to the motors how do i stop the battery from giving power but to take power from the motor and charge?

also what other things i have to be aware of?

thank you
For Those About To Rock, We Salute You!

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: charging batteries using motors
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:02:48 AM »
Simplest is a single diode to allow current to only go from the motor to the battery.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
Hi,

Hand spinning or by a windmill or similar?
If spinned by hand, either use gearing to get it spinning fast or use a stepper motor.

A stepper will take a couple of diodes, as there's 2 or 4 phases (depending on whether the motor is a unipolar or a bipolar type), but small steppers are very efficient with even modest spin rates.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline ballbreakerTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »
thank you for your response and am sorry that i didnt reply earlier

its going to be most likely a brushless geared motor (with permanent magnets) i have thought about the diodes but because am using 12V i thing it will quickly overheat wouldn't ? also if the voltage created gets higher than 12V can a 12V voltage regulator keep it down?

btw is the brushless motor  better as a generator rather than a normal dc motor?
For Those About To Rock, We Salute You!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:32:15 PM »
Hi,

its going to be most likely a brushless geared motor (with permanent magnets) i have thought about the diodes but because am using 12V i thing it will quickly overheat wouldn't ?
No. You just need to choose diodes that fits the output (V&A).

also if the voltage created gets higher than 12V can a 12V voltage regulator keep it down?
How much higher, at what currents and what specific regulator.

btw is the brushless motor  better as a generator rather than a normal dc motor?
Haven't ever tried one that way, but I'd think they were more efficient than a brushed motor - you'll need a rectifier for each phase winding though.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list