Author Topic: I don't really know where else to post this.  (Read 2969 times)

Offline acar25Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I don't really know where else to post this.
« on: December 01, 2010, 08:46:17 PM »
I am a teenager and I have seen many movies with cool weapons and other stuff like that. Iron Man, Wanted, Wolverine, and Death Race have put me into a state of extreme wanting to build some of these cool weapons.

I want to build a spring loaded blade, Just for use in my backyard, cutting branches, and lets face it, a few melons or other fruit in half.

The blade will only be 2 feet long or so.

I want this blade to be attached to a metallic exoskeleton i have already fashioned from some scrap material. I have a knuckle guard and a 3/4 piece of pipe for a hand grip. This connects via bendable section, to a forearm piece which just straps to my arm.

I want to be able to bend my wrist when the blade is "contracted" and not be able to bend my wrist when the blade is out (similar to Wolverine)

I need ideas on the spring mechanism, the spring release mechanism (preferably a button) and the wrist locking mechanism.

Thanks in advance guys.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 08:56:21 PM by acar25 »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: I don't really know where else to post this.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:08:20 PM »
I am a teenager and I have seen many movies with cool weapons and other stuff like that. Iron Man, Wanted, Wolverine, and Death Race have put me into a state of extreme wanting to build some of these cool weapons.

I want to build a spring loaded blade, Just for use in my backyard, cutting branches, and lets face it, a few melons or other fruit in half.

The blade will only be 2 feet long or so.

I want this blade to be attached to a metallic exoskeleton i have already fashioned from some scrap material. I have a knuckle guard and a 3/4 piece of pipe for a hand grip. This connects to a forearm piece which just straps to my arm.

I want to be able to bend my wrist when the blade is "contracted" and not be able to bend my wrist when the blade is out (similar to Wolverine)

I need ideas on the spring mechanism, the spring release mechanism (preferably a button) and the wrist locking mechanism.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hey, we can keep a secret, so level with us... Who's your mark?

I don't see how this relates to robotics in any way though?

Too many people are wounded or killed by blades nowadays, sometimes for no reason at all, so I don't see no good reason at all to post stuff that will only help people draw a concealed weapon faster.
Weapons are NOT cool, they just make people at the receiving end cold.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:28:08 PM »
No one is my mark. i'm just a bored teen. I know this all sounds like something headed straight for disaster. I appreciate your concern. Thank you.

Offline VegaObscura

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:02:25 PM »
If you are determined to do this, I strongly recommend you do it with something besides a blade first.  Something like an iron bar (still dangerous if you hit yourself in the face with it) or a rod made of wood or plastic.  Also I think you're going to have a hard time getting anything to extend out 2 feet at a decent speed.

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:50:39 AM »
I don't remember where but I found a youtube video of a guy who made blades like this out of drawer slides. He listed them under Assassin's creed hidden blades. So maybe search for that. He also used a thumb trigger. Looped string around his thumb and pulling that hard enough released the spring loaded blade. I think he just pulled the trigger again and pumped his arm up to reload them.

We careful and I would recommend something that couldn't cut you as the first prototype. Also don't do anything stupid. I don't want to feel bad when I hear on the news that some kid sliced up a bunch of people in his school with retractable blades.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
thanks for the input. and trust me, i wont do anything stupid

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »
thanks for the input. and trust me, i wont do anything stupid

Oh great, you're screwed now! The only words more likely to be followed by a disaster than "trust me" is "watch this!"  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:26:01 PM by knossos »
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline photomark

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 03:58:29 AM »
To get a blade 2 feet long to swing fast enough and with enough force to go through a melon will take more power than you would want to handle with your body , remember that for every action there in an opposite and equal reaction  .

Also for a spring to have that much potential energy would be rather large and not the sort of thing you would want to be carrying around .

The potential for serious injury here is large ,not just from the swinging blade but from the mechanics that power it as well .

most likely injury's to the user would be joint dislocation ( if your lucky ) to limb dismemberment ( is your a bit less lucky )

The risk is just as great for any one with you so if you dont think of your own safety then at least think of the safety of other people with you 

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 09:48:07 PM »
Not to mention, if your catch fails, you've just created a hair-trigger 2-foot-blade launcher.  Big Problem. Also, if I remember correctly, collapsible knives longer than 11" including handle are illegal...

Get Your Ad Here

data_list