Author Topic: Robot Navigation Using Biomimetic Vision System  (Read 2941 times)

Offline arixroboticsTopic starter

• Helpful? 3
    • TalasTronics WCIT KL2008 Fund Raising
Robot Navigation Using Biomimetic Vision System
« on: April 29, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »
Hello roboteers,

Just like to share some videos of a robot I'm making as my undergrad final year project. The project is basically to make the robot move around without hitting stuff, using the biomimetic vision system developed by my supervisor.

You can see the vision system doing its work on the laptop on the robot in the videos below. The camera is at the top of the robot with a 360 view of its surrounding. The system works using motion energy density, something similar to optic flow.

Video 1:
Back of camera covered up, so robot can only see its front and sides. The robot went out of the tunnel at the end into 'the real world'. But it couldn't see the table because there's not much texture on it.
[youtube]MQGNGaX8PSA[/youtube]

Video 2:
Back of camera is still covered. The robot couldn't see the wall at the end of the tunnel because it has not enough texture, so it thinks that the wall is a free space.
[youtube]-ikCWzOwYqA[/youtube]

Video 3:
Camera not covered up, so 360deg vision. The beep at the end is the low battery warning. So it was the last run for the day.
[youtube]6A6g_GUya64[/youtube]

Video 4:
Using 'natural world' images instead of black & white stripes and old newspapers. The vision system was tuned to work best with these types of images. The 'tunnel' was a bit too short for the robot. We'll make longer ones soon.
[youtube]P4XuiusOEUE[/youtube]

This is a work in progress, lots more to do. Control system is definitely not optimally tuned yet.

What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:02:22 AM by arixrobotics »

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
Re: Robot Navigation Using Biomimetic Vision System
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »
sad all are invalid youtube links
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

Offline arixroboticsTopic starter

• Helpful? 3
    • TalasTronics WCIT KL2008 Fund Raising
Re: Robot Navigation Using Biomimetic Vision System
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:03:37 AM »
aarrggghh..... sorry guys... I posted without checking. The videos should be there now. Please comment.
Thanks.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list