Author Topic: Community Project Help wanted  (Read 2865 times)

Offline tonygTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Community Project Help wanted
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:19:48 AM »
Hi Guys,
      I'm a software guy and I am trying to create a first test bed for a system to help temperature control economy 7 systems for elderly folk in fuel poverty as part of a MSc in Newcastle University.
      I wondered onto this site looking for a PC USB servo interface to control two heating dials and came across the example used to control 2 radio dials with the design released under open source.
   Wow was my first thought as I realised it even had a linux api. Ow was my second as I started to realise I was going to have to build it myself. Unfortunately I have psoritic arthritus in my hands.
   1) Is there anywhere I can buy one of these?
   2) does anyone have one they do not use anymore ?
   The software project I have been doing should benefit the wider economy 7 heating community in energy saving / carbon savings and I would also offer a sincere thanks.

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
Re: Community Project Help wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »
Controlling what I assume are thermostats with a servo actually turning a dial is very Rube Goldberg'ish and quite expensive.  Have you looked at other methods of control like programmable thermostats, etc.?

Offline jka

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »
Take a look at the X-10 system, which can control thermostats and lights. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_(industry_standard)

Offline tonygTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 02:54:46 AM »
Thanks for the replys.
It is a bit of a Rube Goldberg machine, but its sensible for its use :)
I did consider x10 as a medium but tbh wireless AVR controller seems better to me and cost still seems fairly low.
Can anyone recommend a good AVR wireless learning kit, I keep seeing these available but want to make an informed choice (But I know nothing  :))

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:13:12 AM »
Hi,

If you describe (photos are usually helpfull) the part you want to control it might help.
Do you know how the valve (I assume) are controlled mechanically?

As allways... The more info you bring, the better answers you'll be able to get.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here