go away spammer

Author Topic: pseudocode program  (Read 3464 times)

Offline raven123crowTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
pseudocode program
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »
Hello, I am taking an introductory course in OOP. According to my professor he said we should always design our program by using flowcharts and writing the pseudocode first before implementation. I was wondering if any one knows where I can download a good flowchart or pseudocode program. something tailored towards computer science. (note, I do not need business type flowchart programs)

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: pseudocode program
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »
I've never yet found a satisfactory (esp. timewise) way of doing flowcharts on the computer.  Two programs I haven't had a chance to try yet, though, are Microsoft Visio ($$, but maybe free via university) and yEd.  I've heard good things about both of these...

I've done a bit of flowcharts for coding stuff, usually by hand.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:13:04 PM by Gertlex »
I

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:01:46 AM »
Have a look at Visual Paradigm for UML 8.3 - I used it in uni days.

As for pseudo-code, You'll have to write it Yourself, very much the same way You would write normal code.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:03:23 AM by newInRobotics »
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline raven123crowTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
Thanks guys I really appreciate it!

Offline richiereynolds

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
There are many of these, varying widely in complexity and price. Many feature code generation, reverse engineering from code to uml, easy formation of recognised design patterns, relational database modelling and a multitude of diagramatic capabilities amongst other things. Many are very useful for large distributed projects e.g. Enterprise Architect, http://www.sparxsystems.com/products/ea/index.html
It all depends on what you want to use it for, many of them may be overkill i.e. you'll get fed up learning the tool before it's actually proved any use to you. Can your professor recommend something suitable for your course? Many of these products offer educational licences for free.

Offline adanvasco

• Helpful? 6
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
I used to use MS Visio at work and it's pretty good. At home however I use yEd since I use Linux only and although not as user friendly at the beginning as Visio, after a few days fiddling with it, I can say it's pretty useful too.
Knowledge does not weigh.

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
FWIW I use MS Visio at work to do flow charts and state transition diagrams. I wind up spending more time than I want to figure out the right object to use, and coercing the arrows into the right directions, etc. I find that distracting.

It's ok for documentation, but I prefer to use pencil and paper first so I can concentrate on the logic.

Joe

Offline lrmall01

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »
Dia is free and thought it was pretty good the last time I used it: http://live.gnome.org/Dia

Get Your Ad Here