go away spammer

Author Topic: Python Robotics (PyRo)  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Half ShellTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Python Robotics (PyRo)
« on: November 07, 2008, 03:27:58 PM »
Hello all!

I have recently discovered PyRo, or Python Robotics (beware: Python Remote Objects also goes by Pyro). This software allows you to create a virtual world, a virtual robot (just the hardware), and then program code as if it was on that robot. Then you can simulate the results and test your program's behaviour!

http://pyrorobotics.org/?page=Pyro

Some cool videos of it working:
http://pyrorobotics.org/video/

The program seems amazing and I really want to work with it. The problem is, I can't get it installed properly! I'm no Linux newbie, but this is a pain. I was wondering if someone else interested in the program will work with me on trying to get it up and running.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Python Robotics (PyRo)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 05:33:43 PM »
Well after two solid hours of attempting to install tons of dependencies - still no success! I am going to try their live boot CD next though, see how that works out...

Offline hgordon

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 7
    • Surveyor Robotics Journal
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
I think the work on Pyro ended a year or so ago when IPRE was formed (Microsoft, Bryn Mawr, Georgia Tech), and they created a successor system is called Myro (also Python based).  They are building computer science classes around Myro, Parallax Scribbler, and Fluke Bluetooth controller. 
Surveyor Corporation
  www.surveyor.com

Offline SciTech02

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Life's but a green duck with soy sauce. -MegaHAL
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »
I hope you don't think I sound rude, but did you download Python first?  If you haven't, go to Python's main website and do it.  It sort of makes sense that PyRo would not work if you don't have Python to begin with.

If you already have it, I have no idea what you could do.  :-\ It is indeed odd that even if they stopped working on PyRo, the program should still work if you downloaded it.  For example, I think you can still download and use Netscape (an old web browser), even though it's not supported anymore.  Of course, it might be a problem with your OS or something installed that interferes with PyRo (personal firewalls can supposedly stop Python from working, although I haven't had any problems).
Check out the Evolution Robotics, ER1 robot, and ERSP Resource Page: http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/336

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:41:49 AM »
what distribution are you using?
i know there are Ubuntu and Debian packages pre built for PyRo.
probably for other distributions as well.

dunk.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 10:49:12 AM »
Of course I installed python silly - I run Linux and it comes preinstalled. Plus I do a number of other programs in Python regularly.

As for the pre-built packages for Ubuntu and Debian -  the site never mentioned anything about those, and package searches are not showing anything. Myro turns up nothing either. Do you know the package name? (Beware - Python Remote Object also takes the name "pyro").

I'm closing in on the point I'm just going to teach myself PyGame and create my own virtualizations/simulations of hardware.

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 06:23:42 PM »
hey Half Shell,
yea, sorry, my bad. i was looking at Python Remote Object in my package manager.

i think i remember seeing PyRo (the right PyRo) preinstalled on a virtual machine once.
it was a VM with all robotics apps preinstalled.
that was a year or two ago though so i've no idea where it was or if anyone has been updating it.

i just did a quick search for robot VMs and this came up: http://www.transterpreter.org/robodeb/
maybe that was it...

dunk.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »
No, dunk, you were thinking about this probably:

http://pyrorobotics.org/?page=PyroLiveCD

This DOES work, but with the Live CD comes a whole host of problems, which essentially makes my computer hardware near useless. I tried it out and it's cool and all, but it still doesn't work.

I'm looking into what it will take to create a general virtualization of the robot using pygame now...

Offline RowBot

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
I note that there has been no updates posted for this software since 2007.  At that time Ubuntu 10.1 or so was the latest distribution.  Your problems may stem from using (or trying to use) much newer versions of Ubuntu and/or Python. 

It's too bad this cool package is (apparently) no longer supported.  I was seriously considering using it myself but without active support for six years or so...

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »
The posts you're replying to are from 2008, which would explain why they're trying to use software from 2007 :-)
Did you get a better result looking for Myro?

In general, though, I would assume that modern game engines with physics engines built in would solve both the modeling, simulation, and visualization problems for you very simply. All you need to do is build some actuator models, and the controlling code.

Anyone tried something like Unity 3D, or Panda 3D, or UDK?

Get Your Ad Here

data_list