Author Topic: Best Way to Cut Plastic?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline VegaObscuraTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
Best Way to Cut Plastic?
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:55:44 PM »
I plan to make a lot of parts out of plastic in the future, and I'm wondering what's the best way to cut it by hand.  I have a single speed dremel, but it rotates WAY too fast to get clean cuts; it just melts everything.  What's everyone's favorite cheap way to cut plastic?  Electric saw?  Old fashioned manual handsaw?  Adjustable speed dremel?  Kitchen knife?  Fingernail clippers?

Offline ballbreaker

• Helpful? 1
Re: Best Way to Cut Plastic?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:44 AM »
it depends on the plastic but i thing a dremel scroll saw will do because it can be accurate and fast
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:55:49 AM by ballbreaker »
For Those About To Rock, We Salute You!

Offline wilder3300

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
depending in the size and thickness of the plasic use a power saw and power sander to smooth out the shape points other wise you might cut yourself 8)
Brad

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »
Hi,

What's everyone's favorite cheap way to cut plastic?  Electric saw?  Old fashioned manual handsaw?  Adjustable speed dremel?  Kitchen knife?  Fingernail clippers?
Anythin manual will do, the exact type depending on whether you need straight or curved cuts.
The most important (with power tools as well) when cutting plastic is to keep them sharp, as a dull blade will melt the plastic (if it's a meltable plastic of course) very fast. A sharp sawtooth and a quick snip is the best way to do it with power tools and a steady hand and a slow (or taking pauses if the temperature gets too high) cut with hand tools.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here