Author Topic: MS Robotics Studio  (Read 2815 times)

Offline arixroboticsTopic starter

• Helpful? 3
    • TalasTronics WCIT KL2008 Fund Raising
MS Robotics Studio
« on: July 11, 2008, 08:42:26 AM »
Hi all,

Has anyone actually used Microsoft's Robotics Studio to build a robot?

I did a search both on google and on SoR forum, but didn't find anything good about this software. It seems like nobody has actually used it to build anything...

Is it really that bad?

Arif

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: MS Robotics Studio
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:35:17 AM »
The software isn't for building a robot . . .

Lets say you bought a robot from a company and you want to program it. But lets say you don't want to understand all the details, and just want to do higher level programming. *If* the company has a MSRS library available for that particular robot, then it would simplify programming for you.

But the software is useless unless someone writes a library for that robot. To write your own library, you must do it in .NET.

MSRS also has a physics simulator. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard that its not easy to use. You'd also have to generate your own 3D robot models in a clunky interface . . .

In summary, for a one-off robot that I suspect you are building, using MSRS isn't worth the trouble . . .

Offline vidam

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
    • DC/MD/VA Robotics and Automation Team
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 06:02:18 PM »
I've been using MSRS for the last 2-3 months.

Initially I was told that my simulation would be easy to do. However, the experience we had was contrary to popular opinion. Also there were 3 of us working on my simulation.

There were installation bugs, service compilation issues, and sparse documentation for the Vision MSRS. We tried integrating OpenCV C# but that failed too.

The concurrency of services is also not easy to understand. And I'm not sure I even grasp it today. The forum is a good place to ask MSRS questions.

Once you finally get your simulation even partially working like you had imagined, it is like major endorphin release. It is so exciting.

MSRS 2.0 is in beta version. I'm hoping the final release of version 2 will solve installation issues, documentation failures and be more intuitive.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:08:43 PM by vidam »

Offline arixroboticsTopic starter

• Helpful? 3
    • TalasTronics WCIT KL2008 Fund Raising
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:24:09 PM »
aha... now i understand...

ya i'm building a one-off robot from scratch, so i guess msrs is no good for me. the only reason i looked into msrs is because i wanted a serial comm between my robot and a laptop, and also msrs support roborealm.

i guess i'll look into other options.

thanks  ;D

arif

Get Your Ad Here

data_list