go away spammer

Author Topic: AVRStudio MFC Application Error  (Read 5279 times)

Offline apple1Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
AVRStudio MFC Application Error
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:23:20 AM »
I used IAR Workbench, AVR Studio 4.xx and a JTAGICE MK1 for a number of years developing Atmega128 products on a WinXP PC and a Win2K PC. Several months ago I installed WinAVR on both  PCs and started using a JTAGICE MK2 (my IAR version and the MK1 do not support the AT90USB1287). This combination worked properly for the 1287 MCU and the project was completed.

I recently tried to go back to one of the M128 projects but keep getting the messages “AVRStudio MFC Application has encountered a problem . . .” (on WinXP PC) and “AVRStudio.exe has generated errors . . .” (on Win2K PC). These issues are occurring on both the WinXP and Win2K PCs and with both the JTAGICE MK1 and MK2.

I have uninstalled WinAVR, uninstalled and reinstalled Studio 4.15, uninstalled Studio 4.15 and installed Studio 4.16 + SP (rebooting after each uninstall and install) without success.

I connected the JTAGICE MK2 to a WinXP PC that never had WinAVR installed and it works with one M128 board. On a second identical board the “MFC” error occurs. (Obviously it is no longer “identical” otherwise it would work. But no hardware changes were made since it last worked.)

I tried loading the 1287 project into both M128 boards (after changing the device to Atmega128). It loaded properly and ran on all combinations of PCs and JTAGICEs (until it hit the 1287-specific commands, of course). I think this proves that all the PCs, JTAGICEs and M128 boards are working.

Questions:
1   How do I get the M128 board to run on the WinXP and Win2K PCs that had previously had WinAVR installed?
2   How do I get the second M128 board to run on the WinXP PC that never had WinAVR installed? (What might be different about this board?)

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: AVRStudio MFC Application Error
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:30:57 PM »
After more testing I found my intial investigation was not totally correct. Both M128 boards exhibit the same MFC Error problem when using the MK2 on the WinXP Pro PC.

AVRStudio opens correctly
AVRStudio reads the lockbits, fuses, etc correctly (the MK2 is talking to the M128 board)
M128 project loads correctly
Error occurs when trying to enter the Debug Mode

It may or may not mean anything but Microsoft .NET Framework was installed on the WinXP Pro PC since the M128 project last worked.tomg375

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »
Its possible the firmware on the programmers need updating (just a guess).  I don't know what else could cause those kinds of issues.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 01:33:58 PM »
I just updated the JTAGICE MK2 this morning - still bad.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 07:10:21 AM »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list