Author Topic: Bluetooth question  (Read 1784 times)

Offline zzzzzzcobraTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Bluetooth question
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »
Is it possible to alter a blue tooth device say for a phone to allow the phone to beep based upon the distances away from the phone that the blue tooth travels. So if the blue tooth device has a range of 30', it would send a signal to the phone at different predetermined distances that the blue tooth travels away up until it is out of range? I would think this would have something to do with the signal getting weaker thus telling the phone to beep depending on signal strength. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Bluetooth question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
Is it possible to alter a blue tooth device say for a phone to allow the phone to beep based upon the distances away from the phone that the blue tooth travels. So if the blue tooth device has a range of 30', it would send a signal to the phone at different predetermined distances that the blue tooth travels away up until it is out of range? I would think this would have something to do with the signal getting weaker thus telling the phone to beep depending on signal strength. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Assuming you want to use it for measuring distance, the short answer is no, as lots of things will influence signal strength, like the relative humidity of the air, structures around it of various material, sunspot activity and a host of other factors outside of your control.
For a relative measure (like. now it's nearer than before etc.), it will depend on whether your phone have pogrammatic access to the BTSS, which some does.
I don't think my present phone does, but it serves its intended purpose in 45x75mm! 8)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline zzzzzzcobraTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
Not to concerend about the accuracy of the distance. Just would like somehow for the phone to know when the bluetooth device hits a certain distance away and then the phone would beep. How would you reccomend doing this or do you have a better idea on making this work besides the blue tooth route?

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
You're still asking too much. You can get the same signal at 30 ft, or at 1 ft if there's a wooden table in between the devices...

Add in that bluetooth is pretty inflexible, software-wise, from what I've seen.... And it's not worth your time, IMHO.

There's this item, which may be what you're looking for. (I don't think it is) ... It's a piece of crap, speaking from personal experience.
I

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
Let's save you have an Android phone.

You write an app for Android that accesses Bluetooth. It should have a value called a 'signal strength indicator', usually denoted as RSSI, that you can access.

You then have your app play a .wav file beep sound according to the RSSI returned.

Or if you have an iPhone, you write an iPhone app. I only have experience programming Android, however . . .

As previous posters mentioned, accuracy won't be that great, but it'll do the job.

Get Your Ad Here