Author Topic: Fast linear solenoid/piston/actuator  (Read 2650 times)

Offline eiritsuTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Fast linear solenoid/piston/actuator
« on: November 22, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
I am looking for a way to make a linear solenoid/piston that moves fast.
As fast as a solenoid would normally move.
The purpose for it is to make my robot's eyelids blink.
So you can imagine, it needs to be fast, like a flicking motion.

I already have the robot face and eyelids so there is a definite amount of space for the solenoid.

I'm currently using a 6mm stroke mini solenoid but the eye lids needs to move 1 inch upwards and downwards.

I'll post pictures of what I build shortly, I'm on my mobile right now.
If possible, I need a solenoid that has a stroke of at least 1 inch.
Where can I buy one which isn't as big as my hand? It's got to fit behind the eye of my robot which is about normal human size.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Fast linear solenoid/piston/actuator
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 09:34:50 PM »
Hi,

The purpose for it is to make my robot's eyelids blink.
[...]
I'm currently using a 6mm stroke mini solenoid but the eye lids needs to move 1 inch upwards and downwards.
[...]
I need a solenoid that has a stroke of at least 1 inch.
Where can I buy one which isn't as big as my hand? It's got to fit behind the eye of my robot which is about normal human size.
Normal eyelids aren't 1".
The average eye ball is a little less than an inch in diameter - closer to 24mm, and the eye lid doesn't cover the full diameter.

Even if it did, your 6mm solenoid may be quite fine, if it's strong enough (but with a balanced mechanical setup it should be), as you can just "lever it up".
Like this:
S--o--------E
Where S is the solenoid "attack point", o is the pivot point and E is where the eyelid goes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a definite amount of space for the solenoid", as this will always be the case ???
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here