Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Robot Covers

(1/3) > >>

Private Reid:
Ok, To the left of this page there is my user name "Private Reid" and under that there is the words "Beginner", and that is exactly what I am  :D So keeping that in mind here comes my question... Is there a good material (meaning easy to shape, cut, buy cheaply and lightweight) to create a cover for a robot (something that covers up my bad soldering job). At first I though mabye aluminium cans! But no, they are very hard to cut (without cutting yourself), shape and use due to their circular shape! So any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Trumpkin:
Probably not the best material, but I'm using masonite to make my robot chassis, I think it's working pretty well.

Spoil9:
I like using plexyglass or aluminum sheets from either Home Depot or Lowes.
IMO, the aluminum is easier to work with but you have to paint it or some how protect your circuits from possible shorting out on it.
The plexyglass is a little harder to cut and shape, but you don't have to worry about shorting out your circuits. Plus  you can paint the inside which will not only hide your circuits but also look neat (Like painting the inside of a RC car body)

ScorpIon:
Admin likes HDPE, which is a cheap, light and easy to shape plastic, which fits your criteria.

pomprocker:
How about a project box from radio shack? just drill holes for the wheels and sensors.

Or hehe I was thinking of a Mr. Potato head Chassis.

Or maybe an old tupperware container?

And when I heard them using chopsticks for the servos, I was thinking about making a rickshaw robot  with a lil Asian man figurine for a caster  ^_^

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version