Author Topic: I bought an AXON...  (Read 2398 times)

Offline luisonTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
I bought an AXON...
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:30:21 PM »
Hello,
I'm Luis Picó.
First of all:  I don't know if the forum is for these type of questions... if not, please notify me and says to me what is the best form for resolve my question.  :-[
Two days ago, i bought an AXON I.
I use the AXON to control my robot and the playstation controller (http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4623/dsc00653b.jpg). I have a competition in two weeks, so i really need the  AXON.
When the AXON will be send to me? and how many days will it take arrive to me? (aprox)

Thanks a lot,
   Luis

PS: I send a mail, but nobody responds, sorry if i double.

PS2: n.º 415284734894488

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: I bought an AXON...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Hi luison

I checked our system, and your Axon gets shipped out Saturday morning. It'll take typically ~3-5 days to reach your country, and from there its up to your local customs/post. Print out your receipt if you need to pick it up from customs, just in case.

SoR isn't a major retailer, so I can't afford to ship on a daily basis. Usually I ship only once or twice a week, depending on the orders.

Sounds like you'll be doing a few all-nighters! :P

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:53:25 PM »
Oh and btw, your robot looks really cool.

If you are pressed for time and don't have working code yet, I recommend using WebbotLib and my Biped Gait Engine to get you started.

My ERP code would be a good example for you, although it uses the Blackfin camera instead.

I am a bit concerned about the big digital servos you are using and the current they will draw. The original Axon doesn't separate servo power from MCU power, so sudden power drains might cause a reset. Do you know the average and peak current consumption, and what batteries are you using? The Axon II might be better for you as it can keep servo power separate, but I can't ship that out until next Monday/Tuesday and I'm worried about your deadline. Another option is to order both, just in case the Axon isn't up to snuff for your application.

Let me know asap!

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »
Hi luison

I checked our system, and your Axon gets shipped out Saturday morning. It'll take typically ~3-5 days to reach your country, and from there its up to your local customs/post. Print out your receipt if you need to pick it up from customs, just in case.

SoR isn't a major retailer, so I can't afford to ship on a daily basis. Usually I ship only once or twice a week, depending on the orders.

Sounds like you'll be doing a few all-nighters! :P

Oh! Thanks! That's a good news  :D

Yesterday, i went to sleep at 1:30AM, and today i got up at 6:30 AM... so yes, i'm working really hard   :'(

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:08:49 AM »
Oh and btw, your robot looks really cool.

If you are pressed for time and don't have working code yet, I recommend using WebbotLib and my Biped Gait Engine to get you started.

My ERP code would be a good example for you, although it uses the Blackfin camera instead.

I am a bit concerned about the big digital servos you are using and the current they will draw. The original Axon doesn't separate servo power from MCU power, so sudden power drains might cause a reset. Do you know the average and peak current consumption, and what batteries are you using? The Axon II might be better for you as it can keep servo power separate, but I can't ship that out until next Monday/Tuesday and I'm worried about your deadline. Another option is to order both, just in case the Axon isn't up to snuff for your application.

Let me know asap!

Hehehe, i'm admin of "bipedolandia", and i have a really really good code. I've wrote ALL the libraries, all the lines, for the AXON.
I've made a extremely hard work in serials port, and of course in manage servos. The code manages up to 28 servos (in fact, there has no limit), have a 12bits resolution (0,5us of resolution) and use less than 15% of the CPU time. The code is working really really well... and the documentation... is as good as the code, you can see a beta documentation (without many functions) here: http://netload.in/dateiQ46XvXCJn9/BIBLIOTECA DEL AXON [v1.1].pdf.htm

I use a LIPO 2S that support >130A of peak. The robot have 25 5990TG servos, with a peak of 5A  ::). The possible current problem i've fixed with a double entry battery (port bat, and C6)... You really thought i need the AXON2??

At the moment my axon never has resetted... that's the unique problem?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:29:38 AM by luison »

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:20:36 AM »
I read the datasheets again...:
AXONI: The Axon has been tested to handle at least 5A on each power bus, but can in theory handle ~13A

AXON2: The Axon II has been tested to handle at least 6A on each power bus, but can in theory safely handle up to ~13A

The limitation of 13A is the same... so i thought i will stress both AXON at same  8)
I have 'Y' servo wires... so i can connect the battery at the same ports that servos are connected... and the AXON2 "only" have 25 servo ports...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:33:03 AM »
Well, the reset limitation is that of the battery, actually. But your two lipos in parallel won't be a problem!

Out of curiosity, what would you say the average current draw is, per battery, into the Axon power bus?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 02:04:18 AM »
Well, the reset limitation is that of the battery, actually. But your two lipos in parallel won't be a problem!

Out of curiosity, what would you say the average current draw is, per battery, into the Axon power bus?

Sorry, i've explained bad (i don't speak in english). Is one battery with two outputs... The LIPO supports more than 130A... is a beast, so i think the battery will not be the problem.

From each power bus... theoretically 70A at peak. (14 5990 servos)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:06:47 AM by luison »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 02:21:15 AM »
130A . . . I hate to be around if it was accidentally shorted! :o

For frying a power trace, the peak current doesn't really mean much, just the average current.

Does your Axon even get warm?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 02:37:06 AM »
130A . . . I hate to be around if it was accidentally shorted! :o

For frying a power trace, the peak current doesn't really mean much, just the average current.

Does your Axon even get warm?

I think no... but you are worrying me  :'(
If i put the bat. in C6, the current of this power trace will reduce 50%, because, I obtain two power bus... (C6 is on the middle of a power trace). Or that's what i think.

PS: Is more than 130... later i'll confirm you the exact current supported.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 03:54:45 AM »
I think no... but you are worrying me  :'(
If i put the bat. in C6, the current of this power trace will reduce 50%, because, I obtain two power bus... (C6 is on the middle of a power trace). Or that's what i think.
I think it'll be fine, and using pin C6 is very good, too.

If your Axon doesn't even get warm, it won't fry, no worries.

13A is only what I conservatively calculated, its not based on real experiments. Its quite possible it can handle a lot more. Thats why I'm asking you for data :P

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 05:00:22 AM »
Uhmm!!

I do the libraries, documentation, announce your hardware in the forum... and now i'm your beta tester... I want something for my effort!!  :D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:03:19 AM »
When you finish the bot, post some links here, and I'll get you traffic in return. :P

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
When you finish the bot, post some links here, and I'll get you traffic in return. :P

hehehe, it was a joke, but off course, i'll publish the libraries and manuals.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »
I lost the port C2  :o  :'(    The servo lost power... and shot down, the rest 24 not (in C2 position yes).

This weekend i'm going to sold a wire back the Axon :-\

PS: 132A peak and 73A continuous support the LIPO.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »
At the end the axon is 100% right  :D .
The problem is one amazing bug on the compiler. Only with one combination of pulses with my code, the axon do rare things (make the PWM at 18Hz), but on the AVR Studio all were OK!!  :o  The PWM at 50Hz... Simply amazing. I've fixed this error deleting some of my code that search 'time' between pulse servos (all up at same time, but down when is its turn), that ups one flag.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list