Author Topic: Mounting Question-Best way to mount a tire to an HS-311 servo  (Read 2698 times)

Offline WolfFireTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Mounting Question-Best way to mount a tire to an HS-311 servo
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:37:04 PM »
Just another question came up as I was designing today. I had (yes, had) two wheels from an RC PT Cruiser. I took out what would be the rims, hub caps, brakes and what not. Now I just have two 5 inch diameter tires, about 2 inches wide. If I put 1in of HDPE inside of them (there is a 1/2 of an inch depression from the sides, making a 1 inch pocket in the middle) would it be mountable. Or is there a better way to mount them that I should have thought of but didn't.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:03:23 PM by WolfFire »

• Helpful? 0
Re: Mounting Question-Best way to mount a tire to an HS-311 servo
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 10:04:26 PM »
The tires are going to be used with a Sega Saturn chassis, if that helps anyone.

Offline MarkBrown

• Helpful? 0
    • Mark's Projects
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:15:09 AM »
If I understand this right, you are using the HDPE as the rims for you tire.  If so, one method you could do is use the four arm servo arm to screw the wheel into the outer hole of each of the arms.  Basically, find the center of the rim, place the servo arm centered on the rim and mark the holes for the 4th hole of each part of the arm as well as the center.  Then remove the arm and make pilot holes for the 4 outer holes using a 1/16th drill bit.  I am not sure of what size to make the center hole, but the idea is to make it large enough to put the servo arm screw through it so you can attach it to the servo.  Screw the servo horn onto the rim using the 4 outer holes, but the servo arm on the servo and put the screw back into the servo.  You will want to make sure you check the clearance of the screw heads with the servo.

Hope this idea helps,

Mark Brown
It is human nature to confuse genious with insanity

http://marksproject.blogspot.com/

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:15:48 AM »
OK, so from what I read, this should work. ;D I thought it would, but I didn't want to do something that someone else tried, but wasn't successful at it. Unless they had just done something wrong, of course.

Get Your Ad Here