Author Topic: Can old scrap toy motors be used instead of servos?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline chickencharmerTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Can old scrap toy motors be used instead of servos?
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:45:40 PM »
I am very new with robots and I was wondering if I could use old toy motors instead of servos for the $50 dollar robot?
I have a lot of old motors from toys and junk....and I can't think of what else to use them for.

Offline sonictj

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
Re: Can old scrap toy motors be used instead of servos?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:12:16 PM »
you can but there is more circuitry involved, alog with a tad bit more software.  you will need a h-bridge to power dc motors.  If the motors are small you can probably get by with an sn754410 h-bridge chip.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvbYnN5EaJWBDjbQCgliZjvodpiuLF%2fAys%3d

However I would suggest sticking with servos for your first robot because it will be easier to understand and the complexity will be lower.   After you get a working robot using servos you can jump to dc motors.  Thats just my recommendation.  Servos run $10 to $13 so they are not that expensive.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Can old scrap toy motors be used instead of servos?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:32:30 PM »
well, yes and no.
they can be used but as sonic said its a big hassle for your first robot as there is more circuitry
thus there being more that can go wrong.
to run the dc motor you will need a gearbox, motor driver and motor whereas with a
servo it has all this in a small cheap package ready for you!
you see, a servo is just a dc motor with a driver circuit and a gearbox ;)
personally i would go for a servo.
Howdy

Get Your Ad Here

data_list