Author Topic: Robot Shopping Trolley  (Read 4863 times)

Offline arixroboticsTopic starter

• Helpful? 3
    • TalasTronics WCIT KL2008 Fund Raising
Robot Shopping Trolley
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:53:22 AM »
These guys made a robot to follow them while shopping. The amazing thing was they actually tested it in real world! Very cool...

[youtube]tNWwnRYSULE[/youtube]

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: Robot Shopping Trolley
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »
i like this thing ;D
i think this could well become the future of shopping, or a robot that goes and collects everything for you?
eliminate you entering the store...
Howdy

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 03:29:04 PM »
psst that's called an online store  ;) :D

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:01:46 PM »
i think this could well become the future of shopping, or a robot that goes and collects everything for you?

That's how people get lazy... Send the robot to get the beer, send the robot to do the chores, send the robot to store... What will people do? Sit on the couch and watch sports or movies? Or play online games? Fat asses will develop...
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
That's when the cylons step in and kill everyone. Problem solved  :)

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »
i like this thing ;D

There are actually a couple superstores in the US (and probably many other places) which have carts you drive around on to collect your groceries.  What happened to good old walking?  :P

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:26:47 AM »
im all a fan of walking but what about people who have a disability?
i know about online stores but pffft!
Howdy

Offline gorner5

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:36:40 AM »
It wont matter if we are all fat , the robots will be doing everything. Then the robots will build robots that build robots.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:40:32 AM »
yes but still, fat=health problems...
people will die younger which is bad for some reason ;D
heart attack...stroke...amputations...death.
Howdy

Offline oelewapperke

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 09:57:44 AM »
Perhaps you should visit a large city once. Look at the center. There are so many people in that case already, nothing to do, nothing to look forward to, addicted, or worse. At best, they're useless, looking for a job, and merely eating up resources. In the worst case, well, where were you on 11/9/2001 ?

If those cities are any indication, those without other options (and the more robots, the more people without options) either get addicted, become couch potatoes, or turn to crime. And there are a few, but they're one in a million, that start researching some subject, you know, for fun and come up with something cool

"The singularity", the point where a robot designs and constructs another robot, is not the point where some humans become useless. There are already a billion people who are useless world-wide, the singularity is the point where every last one of us quickly loses the ability to contribute anything to the world, since we cannot match any property of the robots : not their intelligence, not their strength, not their size, not their speed, not their tolerance.

One might note that there are many areas where even the richest humans are already in this position. Exploration of space is one, extreme example. Humans have travelled about half a million kilometers. The first robot is nearing the 1 light year mark. The only humans on the moon are a distant memory, but there are multiple robots operational on the moon, on mars, on Jupiter, on Jupiter's moons, in the asteroid belt, on Venus and several around the sun. Robots outnumber humans a million-to-one a mere 100 kilometers from your current location.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 02:21:54 PM »
well, although robots are good, cheap, effective and don't take coffee/cigarette breaks
we really wouldn't want to put that many people out of work...
i mean, apart from the people that make the robots, how will anyone get any income?
i think robots should only get the repetitive boring work as no humans want to do it. ;D
Howdy

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 06:02:06 PM »
perhaps...and this is just a though...there would be no need for money or a job.  If robots controlled everything, and could do everything more efficiently than humans, people wouldn't need to work.  Instead of working to live, robots would work for us.  They could provide food for us, transportation, general services etc.  we could go about doing what we love instead of having to work to be able to afford what we love, and we would have the time to do it, because we wouldnt have to work.  Ofcourse, this assums that all jobs are controlled by robots, and not just a select few jobs.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 01:33:25 AM »
i guess, but this kind of thing would cause all kinds of hassles...
what about people who don't own a robot and are very poor? they will most likely be thrown out of their job :-[
Howdy

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 01:08:54 PM »
im not talking about people owning robots.  Im talking about robots controlling everything so people wont need money.  whatever they want they get bascially, to a certain extent.  for example food.  robots may supply us with food, we just choose what we want to eat and get it delivered to us via robots - a person may be limited to how much food they can order per day etc.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »
ahh yes, i see what you mean now...
that could work but it would need a fair amount of thought as problems may always arise.
would the robot limit you by price or weight?
Howdy

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 04:53:16 AM »
It wont matter if we are all fat , the robots will be doing everything. Then the robots will build robots that build robots.

This kind of sounds like Wall-E movie... All humans fat and doing nothing while the robots do everything.... I don't like that kind of future, but we can come close to it if we don't learn our lessons. We'll see what will happen. Mean while, I'll build my little robotic toys for fun just like any other person that plays with trains and builds a train setup.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 05:15:46 AM »
i cant imagine a future like that...
health experts would go crazy...
Howdy

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »
health experts would'nt be crazy....they'd all be filthy rich....they would be able to throw any new weight loss drugs into the market....even if there a bunch of crap and people would buy them....many more weight loss clinics would open....

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 03:41:09 PM »
From wikipedia:

Shopping cart theft can be a costly problem with stores that use them. Often the carts end up in apartment complexes, low-income housing, bus stops or locations where the person doing the shopping is unlikely to own a car. The carts, which cost between $75 and $100 each, have been used for such purposes as barbecue pits, go-carts, laundry trolleys and even shelters, or they are simply abandoned. Because such losses can be substantial (up to $800 million globally lost every year), stores have resorted to various systems to prevent theft. Stores may use one or more of these systems (i.e., cart retrieval and electronic).

I say its not feasible. People won't buy more because they don't have to push the cart around ;D

But still, the video made it seem like the human tracking system was very reliable. Apparently he only used a Hokuyo, but I'm not so sure . . .

Get Your Ad Here