go away spammer

Author Topic: need some Ultrasonic Range Finder Advice  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Brandon121233Topic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
need some Ultrasonic Range Finder Advice
« on: March 28, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »
Hey everyone, I need to get another ultrasonic range finder because the one I have now lacks the distance I need it to work. Any range finder over about 5m is all I need but Ive been looking at a couple from Devantech specifically the differences between the Devantech SRF08 High Performance Ultrasonic Range Finder and the SRF02 which is a single transducer model. My first question is: What if any advantages are there to having 2 transducers as opposed to one that sends and receives? Secondly both of them are rated for about 6 meters and there short range abilities are somewhat comparable, they both have a fully timed on board echo system, but the SRF08 is about $37 more than the SRF02, does anyone know if there is any real advantage to buying the much more expensive SRF08? (besides the fact that it can like count 16 different objects as opposed to just the first one).
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline nanob0t

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Trust Your Technolust
Re: need some Ultrasonic Range Finder Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »
Are you determined to use only ultrasonics?

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 04:13:39 PM »
A tranducer/reciever as a sepperate pair means you can pick out objects that are closser. I use a Max-EZ which is very similar to the SRF02 (faster but harder to interface with) and because it transmits and recieves with the same speaker/mic it can only see things from 15 inches to 255 inches. I would personaly go with two SRF02 over a single SRF08. Unless you are doing some fancy filtering of the echo's (requireing lots of floating point math wich you probably don't want to do on a uC) the SRF02 is a better choice because you can use one to sound off and both to listen(read up on thier website and you'll figure it out).

Of course I prefer LIDAR but I'm not rich.....yet ;)

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:30:58 PM »
Thanks for your help,
Yeah I'm going to be using in addition to some infrared bump sensors so the minimum distance doesn't really matter to much to me, I just needed something relatively cheap and simple to use, and the SRF02 seems to be pretty much what I need. I'm planning on using this for the robot tutorial competition by Admin, in case you wanted to know.

—Thomas Edison

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »
I will DEMOLISH YOU! >:(

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:01:59 PM »

Nah just kidding :P.....I just started my new job so I'm kinda buisy ;D

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 04:47:05 PM »
I'm not really entering it to win the money (its not that much) or to win the contest, I just want to have fun getting experience in documenting the projects I do. Anyway good luck to you and what ever kind of robot your building. ;D

—Thomas Edison

Get Your Ad Here

data_list