go away spammer

Author Topic: Receiver/Transmitter help!!  (Read 1751 times)

Offline SlyGuyTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Receiver/Transmitter help!!
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
Hello everyone

I am building a simple robot and I am having difficulties with the relaying device. I have plugged in a battery to the receiver and the LED is lit. But after plugging in the positive and negative wires into the receiver and attaching it to the motor I am not having luck after pressing the button on the transmitter.

The transmitter has 6 buttons and the receiver has 3 slots for each button labeled K1-G1-B1. I have tried plugging the wires into the same slot (K1) then tried putting the positive wire in the K1 and negative wire in the G1 and every other combination. The receiver will click when I press down each button on the remote (transmitter) but nothing will happen. I also tried different motors and even attached a AA battery to the motor and wires to verify the motor was infact working which it was.

Please see the attached picture

http://s12.postimg.org/m6fhmu7wt/bot1.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/vg3ujctv9/Bot2.jpg

Offline johnwarfin

• Helpful? 3
Re: Receiver/Transmitter help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »
do you hear the relays click?

also i highly recommend rewiring those motor leads. looks like fireworks just around the corner.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »
Yes they click each time I press the button on the controller.

And by fixing the wire, you mean cutting off the excess wire to make sure the circuit doesn't short?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »
Those wires already look like they're shorting! Perhaps there is a current limiter that detects the short and prevents fireworks, but also don't make the motor run.

You should choose suitable cabling for the connector/terminal. If you can twist the strands together and push them into the screw terminal, then it's a suitable wire. If they don't fit, then you need to get a thinner-gauge cable. (I find 16 gauge speaker cable / "zip cord" works great for many medium-size motors up to 10A draw.)
If you are really anxious getting up and running, try stripping 1/2 inch of wire, cutting off half the strands at the insulation, and then putting some heat shrink around the insulation and stripped wire to get the recommended 1/4" stripped wire to push into the screw terminal.
If you have neither heat shrink nor thinner wire, and the existing wire is too coarse, you probably need to go shopping.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »
Hmm this actually makes sense..

I'm going to try this today and will report my results back!

Thanks a lot!

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
I also have a ton of thin copper wire laying around the house but it does not have the rubber jacket on it. Would I be ok using this or should I find/buy wire with the rubber jacket?

Offline johnwarfin

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »
just restrip the existing ones to 1/4" like j says to avoid shorts.

if the relays click next step is to make sure the motor runs when connected directly. if that works check the relay voltage and relay contacts with a multimeter. at this point its simple electricity, not rocket surgery.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list