Author Topic: An Axon, Roboduino, or an Arduino on a $50 robot + Battery help  (Read 2463 times)

Offline RICEKING212Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this post since it covers a lot.
This will be my first real robot. I've made a few in the past but they were all out of kits and weren't challenging at all unless you consider soldering to be challenging. I've read many posts and tutorials on this site and I'm really greatful that a site like this exists. Since I gotten my first job, I finally have enough money to make a robot. I've read the $50 robot tutorial a few times and just have a few questions.

First, I want a microcontroller that can work well with the $50 robot and can aid me in my future robots. Money not being a problem, but it would be nice if I can stay under $150 although I have about $300 to burn, which microcontroller would be best? Axon seems to be top of the line and has really nice features but is $100. Roboduino and Arduino are on the cheaper side and have a few pros. Or should I just stick with the $50 robot microcontroller for this first project and then buy a better microcontroller later on.

Second, I have 2 rechargable batteries at thye moment. A 8.4v 1100mah NiMH battery that weighs about 4oz with a tamiya connector and a 9.6v 2000mah NiMH Nun-chuck battery that weights a little more than a pound with a tamiya connector as well. Would these work ok with the $50 robot and possibly my future projects? Or should I use pick up a 6v NiMH battery instead?

Lastly, I'm pretty much completely ignorant of C and C++. I'm hoping that this robot can give me a jumpstart on learning either one of these.

I hope that after making this robot successfully, I would like to attach another servo on to it and mount a Sharp IR Rangefinder.

(P.S. If I'm asking too much for my first real robot, please tell me.)

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge.

Offline Penth

• Helpful? 0
Re: An Axon, Roboduino, or an Arduino on a $50 robot + Battery help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »
Following the $50 Robot Tutorial will be your best part because buying an Axon or Roboduino takes the fun out of building the circuit board. If after doing the tutorial, you want to continue on, then by all means go for a Roboduino or Axon.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 04:18:40 PM »
i would say go with the $50 board, not just because its way cheaper... but because it teaches you so much!
how to source parts, how to solder, how to program, how to debug problems you may have.
if you were going to buy a board for robotics i would rule out arduino as its troublesome as the lack of a power bus.
the roboduino is a good choice, i have one myself... the axon is great, its $100... but its worth it!

both of those batteries you listed will most likely damage your servos, normally the limits of servos is 4.8-7.2
a 6v battery is the best for this, some people have told me a 7.2v battery will reduce the servos life... i would go buy that 6v, and make sure it has decent mAh, at least 1800mAh(milli amp hours). this is talking about the batteries capacity, a 1000mAh battery can supply 1000mA for one hour, 500mA for two hours 2000mA for 1/2 an hour etc...

the $50 robot is aimed to be your first robot ;) and its cheap!
the $50 robot is a great way to give you a kick start with your knowledge in robotics, good luck RiceKing212.
Howdy

Offline RICEKING212Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »
Thanks a lot. I will look into getting a roboduino microcontroller and I will also build the $50 robot with the stock microcontroller.

Get Your Ad Here