Author Topic: Tips n' Tricks for the New Hobbyist  (Read 18117 times)

Offline jsbaroneTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Tips n' Tricks for the New Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 04:00:11 PM »
Thanks Admin!  That was really informative. I think that, at least for this first one, I'll stop by my local hardware store and purchase a sheet of plexiglass.  Who knows, they might even stock HDPE.  What do you think about the photoresistors?

Edit:  nevermind.  I actually looked and was able to answer my own question.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062590&cp=&sr=1&origkw=photoresistor&kw=photoresistor&parentPage=search
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 04:05:57 PM by jsbarone »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »
At radioshack you can buy 5 photoresistors in a pack for $2.50.  :P

Its the cheapest place I can find them . . .

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 04:06:56 PM »
Well, I was looking into buying that Arduino board but I think I'm going to pass on it.  It looks a bit more "intermediate" than beginner, so I might just buy the Boebot kit.  I guess I'll think about it for a few more days.  If any of you have any more suggestions, I'm definitely still looking into other routes.

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 06:41:47 PM »
jsbarone:  I have been into amature robotics for about 7 years now (and am still at the "newbie" level!)... in any event, I am absolutely convinced that the best way to start out with this great hobby is the Parallax BoeBot... why?

1.  It is a solid proven kit
2.  The documentation is more based on a curriculum where you will learn one step at a time ensuring that you get a solid foundation of the basics
3.  The support is second to none... if you have any problems, issues, or questions, there tech support is awsome and they have one of the most active forums anywhere

Bottom line, the BoeBot is the best way to go... You will NOT be disapointed!!!!

Offline trigger

• Helpful? 0
  • It's an op amp, not a gun part.
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 07:27:22 PM »
Bottom line, the BoeBot is the best way to go... You will NOT be disapointed!!!!

But your wallet will, lol.

This may be good advice, but you can do it a lot cheaper and get great help on this forum...
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who can read binary, and those who can't.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 07:48:51 PM »
You both definitely have valid points.  A friend of mine is interested in robotics too, and we were looking at the http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27402.

Is that as full featured as the boebot kit?  It might save us a little cash if we're getting the same stuff---also, it might bring a little fun into the whole thing with a bit of competition.

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 08:03:56 PM »
If you and a friend are both getting involved, then it might be a good choice... the nice part is that all of Parallax materials are free to download, so I would down load both sets of materials and review them both to help you in finalizing your decision... the advantage of the Boebot is that it will provide a better platform (because of the prototyping area for further experimentation with different accessories such as sensors.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2007, 09:07:28 PM »
the new tutorial is looking really good.  when should we expect part 3, and how many parts total?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2007, 09:28:41 PM »
when should we expect part 3, and how many parts total?
Part 3 will probably take me about 3 more weeks (its the hardest one). Part 4, the last one, will probably take a week or two more after that (its the easiest one). I will also put together a video version of it.

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 11:41:23 PM »
 ??? I am pretty much in the exact situation the original poster is. I have read pretty much everything on this site and have learned alot. I have the same budget, except i don't have a friend, or a job(not yet at least). I am eagerly awaiting part 3 of the tutorial. part 1 and 2 look great. What microcontroller would be best for a beginner, but still with some nice features, so that I wouldn't have to upgrade right away. Also what items would you recommend for me to buy. (breadboard, stripboards, etc) I have various building material and tools available, also random electronic componentts(mostly capacitors), since I recently took apart an old tv and my digital camera and salvaged some parts. any help would be appreciated
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 06:51:41 AM »

But your wallet will, lol.

This may be good advice, but you can do it a lot cheaper and get great help on this forum...

I totally agree, even though i've only built 1 or 2 robots, I would say the way to go would to learn how to program PICs or 8051s or something like that. The robot room site shouts that from the rooftops lol.

Parallax are making a lot of money because nobody else is doing what they are doing. I met a guy at the UK micromouse who made walking robots. Parallax approached him to develop one for them. Thier development team took the idea and made something that wasn't as good as his..........but still makes loads of money to this day.
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 03:28:45 PM »
Well, I decided to both buy a kit and do Admin's tutorial.  I went with Parallax's Sumobot kit, and got a great deal on it (half price---$75).  I know it's not as full featured as the BoeBot, but it does come with mostly the same components and has the added advantage of being able to duke it out with another SumoBot.  I plan on pushing that thing (and Admin's) robot to the limit, and then going on from there.  I'll try and keep y'all updated.  It arrives today!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list