Author Topic: uploading sketches via usbasp?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
uploading sketches via usbasp?
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
so i have this problem where i have set up an atmega328 circuit on a piece of proto board so i don't need to put my $30 arduino on a project i'm likely not going to rip apart any time soon. i don't want to waste money or space on a serial port but i do have a USBasp programmer so what i was wondering is if there was a way to upload a sketch through my usbasp instead.
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: uploading sketches via usbasp?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »
It's simpler than that - while using the ASP programmer would work, you could just remove the ATmega328 from the arduino, and connect Tx and Rx together from the board to the external chip (or don't remove the internal chip if you don't mind them both being programmed).  The Arduino bootloader works through serial, so just connect those together =). 

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
Re: uploading sketches via usbasp?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »
It's simpler than that - while using the ASP programmer would work, you could just remove the ATmega328 from the arduino, and connect Tx and Rx together from the board to the external chip (or don't remove the internal chip if you don't mind them both being programmed).  The Arduino bootloader works through serial, so just connect those together =). 

for some reason that didn't work for me. i will have to try it again next time i have my project neer
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Get Your Ad Here