Author Topic: Hi, i;m new in sumo robot. need some guidance  (Read 2971 times)

Offline rubberTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Hi, i;m new in sumo robot. need some guidance
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:08 AM »
i;m trying to build a sumo robot.

i'm thinking of attaching the device of Mechanical mouse under the robot..

the mouse ball and together the rollers to determine X and Y locations.

is it possible??

pls guide me.thanks

Offline hazzer123

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
Re: Hi, i;m new in sumo robot. need some guidance
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 04:03:35 AM »
In one of my robots we use 2 mice mounted underneath which basically act as encoders for the wheels. They work pretty well when mounted intelligently and if the mouse likes the surface.

Unless your mouse was oriented in the same direction all the time (i.e. it didn't turn when the robot did) you wouldn't get an X-Y location (assuming your robot has the common 2 or 4 wheel configuration). The mouse can't detect turning so it would only report movement in 1 direction.

Give us a little bit more information and we might be able to help further :)
Imperial College Robotics Society
www.icrobotics.co.uk

Offline hoosier122

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 03:44:04 AM »
In one of my robots we use 2 mice mounted underneath which basically act as encoders for the wheels. They work pretty well when mounted intelligently and if the mouse likes the surface.

Unless your mouse was oriented in the same direction all the time (i.e. it didn't turn when the robot did) you wouldn't get an X-Y location (assuming your robot has the common 2 or 4 wheel configuration). The mouse can't detect turning so it would only report movement in 1 direction.

Give us a little bit more information and we might be able to help further :)

Two mice secured together could detect turning.  I haven't put much thought into the equation, but one would act as a pivot with the other acting as the end of a protractor.

Offline Strikeskids

• Helpful? 0
    • Strikeskids
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 04:47:07 AM »
Two mice secured together could detect turning.  I haven't put much thought into the equation, but one would act as a pivot with the other acting as the end of a protractor.
That would only work if you stopped one motor for steering while the other was running. If you reversed one motor for steering, then both mice would act like the ends of protractors, and the mice are on the virtual axle of the wheel, the center of that axle would be the pivot. It is easier to steer using one motor in forward and one in reverse than one motor in forward or reverse and one in stand still. :D :o
Don't take life seriously
Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list