Author Topic: Steering with 1 motor  (Read 1748 times)

Offline harpoTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Steering with 1 motor
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
Hello and welcome to my post XD

To my problem..
I have a very limited budget for my project and i only have 1 motor.
Is there any way I effectively steer with only 1 motor? (cheaply mind you)
I have 4 wheels and a frame that has yet to be built.
Thanks -setra   

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: Steering with 1 motor
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:40:40 AM »
You can steer and not move, or move and not steer. Pick one.

(To make it simple, a motor only rotates about a single axis, so there's no way to get two independently controlled degrees of freedom)

How large is your budget, and what is the goal of your project? Chances are there's a motor that you could buy that is cheap enough, or that you can salvage the parts from something lying around your home.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:27:38 PM »
well I'm building a semi large robot and I got the motor from one of those big scooters that you sit on. seeing as I cant find a equivalent and even if I did I would not be able to afford it I
was wondering breaking right or left wheel to steer would be effective. If so what is a good cheap way to break a wheel with about a 1 1/2 foot diameter (50$ max)
Thanks -Setra

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »
Hi,

was wondering breaking right or left wheel to steer would be effective. If so what is a good cheap way to break a wheel with about a 1 1/2 foot diameter (50$ max)
A good cheap way to break it would be to hit it a few times with a sledge hammer  :D

If, on the other hand, you would rather brake it, it wouldn't be smart, if you drive two wheels from the same motor (as this would slow both sides down), but magnetic clutches could be used to disengage the motor power on the side you wanna turn to.

If you just use the motor you have for drive, you can use a smaller motor for steering, if you abandon differential drive/steering.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
(I think you may have misunderstood my idea. In my idea the back wheels would be the drive wheels and the front would have the separate brakes on them.)

Would you be willing to better explain the magnetic clutch route?

Thanks -Setra
(PS. sorry about my spelling its not my strong suit :( )

Get Your Ad Here