General Misc > Misc

Admin's new flying robot

<< < (3/4) > >>

SmAsH:
Few questions(assuming you designed and built it, not bought), this is incredibly intriguing as i am working on something slightly related.
-Why not opt for 4xrotors each pair with an opposite tilt direction? ie, one pair N-S and one E-W for omni directional control.
-Why have such a small wingspan? Obviously size is a large component, but stability seems to suffer :P
-What kind of battery and mah are you using? Those motors sound like they suck a fair bit of juice at higher RPM's
Cheers dude, looks like a really decent concept.

--- Quote from: Soeren on December 10, 2012, 10:12:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Admin on December 10, 2012, 08:11:29 PM ---I'm thinking of making a ball-shaped wire frame around it so I won't be concerned about crashes during tests and such.

--- End quote ---
I recently saw a toy helicopter of sorts with a large plastic mesh ball around it (nearly bought it out of sheer curiosity :)) - wonder how it affects aerodynamics though.

I'd think that hanging it from a high ceiling in a thin bungie cord (climbing gear shop) would do for initial tests?

--- End quote ---
I used to own a helicopter with something like this, sort of an atom looking shield around it comprised of a very light but rigid plastic, didn't seem to affect aerodynamics much, unless at higher speeds. Damage was definitely saved at low altitudes, though.

Admin:

--- Quote from: SmAsH on January 22, 2013, 08:28:56 AM ----Why not opt for 4xrotors each pair with an opposite tilt direction? ie, one pair N-S and one E-W for omni directional control.

--- End quote ---
Each rotor is ~$100, each with another battery ~$30, and each with another motor driver ~$30. Two more rotors would have cost me ~$300 more, so I wanted to save money. If I had a money tree, I would have gone with four rotors. :P

--- Quote ----Why have such a small wingspan? Obviously size is a large component, but stability seems to suffer :P
--- End quote ---
I am machining the frame with a CNC, so it unfortunately limits the frame size to ~15 inches long

--- Quote ----What kind of battery and mah are you using? Those motors sound like they suck a fair bit of juice at higher RPM's
--- End quote ---
45C 2000mAh 6s lipos:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16476__ZIPPY_Flightmax_2000mAh_6S1P_45C.html

Also, I've been really busy lately so it's been sitting collecting dust. Still working on the IMU + balance controller in software . . .

jwatte:

--- Quote ---I am machining the frame with a CNC, so it unfortunately limits the frame size to ~15 inches long
--- End quote ---

I would think it limits each piece of the frame to 15 inches. A couple of bolts would let you extend that ;-)
That being said, I would agree that the rigidity of a uniframe is nice!

SmAsH:

--- Quote from: Admin on January 22, 2013, 09:51:55 AM ---
--- Quote from: SmAsH on January 22, 2013, 08:28:56 AM ----Why not opt for 4xrotors each pair with an opposite tilt direction? ie, one pair N-S and one E-W for omni directional control.

--- End quote ---
Each rotor is ~$100, each with another battery ~$30, and each with another motor driver ~$30. Two more rotors would have cost me ~$300 more, so I wanted to save money. If I had a money tree, I would have gone with four rotors. :P

--- Quote ----Why have such a small wingspan? Obviously size is a large component, but stability seems to suffer :P
--- End quote ---
I am machining the frame with a CNC, so it unfortunately limits the frame size to ~15 inches long

--- Quote ----What kind of battery and mah are you using? Those motors sound like they suck a fair bit of juice at higher RPM's
--- End quote ---
45C 2000mAh 6s lipos:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16476__ZIPPY_Flightmax_2000mAh_6S1P_45C.html

Also, I've been really busy lately so it's been sitting collecting dust. Still working on the IMU + balance controller in software . . .

--- End quote ---
Hmm, i see. Fair call then haha. Seems very well designed considering the limitations in that case. Good job :) Would be very interested if you ever do a write up, though

Razor Concepts:
I think the tricky part for these avatar-gunship like crafts is the pitch direction. Yaw and roll are easy because the response is very fast, but pitch is like a slow pendulum which makes it a pain to stabilize

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version